What's a good coyote supposed to look like?

PrimosPartner

What do you look for in a "good looking" hide on a coyote? What's good quality? And please, if you have any pictures to show what good fur quality is, photobucket pictures don't work on my computer. Use flikr.com if you need to. Thanks guys!

Most guys that sell fur are looking for coyotes without rub marks, fur missing or mange. Good quality hair that doesn't fall out.

Usually winter furs are the best. I live up in Idaho and haven't dealt with you guys desert dogs so probably won't be much help for folks that hunt in those areas.

Like this.. 35 pound male. Aged at about 8-10 years.

coyote_jan21.jpg

Hmmmm I guess my answer would be

Dead!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry I just couldn't resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:

Hmmmm I guess my answer would be

Dead!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry I just couldn't resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

hahahahahaha. great answer. i would've gone with "on my wall"..

Someone from WY or MT got a picture of a good one? I have some excellent WY ones, but can't figure out how to put pictures up here.T.20

Maybe these will help.

IMG_1416.jpg

We talk about hides being "blue". The two coyotes right of center are blue along the back and hind legs. That's usually where the last fur primes. They were taken in mid-November along with the other 4. Some prime earlier than others.

IMG_1419.jpg

This is what is called a "Northern Supreme". Notice the long thick fur, all the guard hairs are in tack and extend past the under fur. The coyote is only bringing $40 this year but I've got up to $70 for one just like it in recent years.

Hey Mike, what is that hole by the tail on that one by the blue ones? lol. That fur side out one is NICE! Got any hunting trips to tell about yet this year? T.20

Here is a couple of pretty good looking one from my area in Iowa. We dont really get the real pale one's like Montana and Canada have.

coyote_no_5_07-08.JPG

coyote_no_6_07-08.JPG

Here is a one that is pretty dark they usaually dont bring very much.
coyote_no_7_07-08.JPG

I skin some early in the year, say from november or so that way I can get a pile of them to sell around the begging of January before my fur harvester license runs out. I got 18 for the skinned coyotes this year. And 10 to 14 on the carcass.

And the dreaded double [image] [/image] tags rear their ugly head once again. You may not know how you do it but you can see them in your post and delete them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

Back