Hunting with the cajn

yotedog

I arrived at Randy house in LA about 12:00 friday. We didnt waste any time we got straight to hunting. We made stand after stand until dark friday night and nothing. The weather horrible for calling coyotes, overcast and was kinda windy. That night Randy and I met his wife at a local steak house for supper. After the great meal we went driving around to do a little locateing that knight. We called a few spots just trying to locate them but all we got was one lone coyote to give away his position. The next morning we got up and went at it agian this time we took his boy so that he could film a few stands. Nothing came in at all. So after lunch the good ole weather broke and finally let some sunshune in. We made a few stand then as we were walking out back to the truck a land owner came over to visit and Randy ended up getting some new land to hunt. We drove over to the new spot and saw a coyote that had came out from the woods into the open field. The coyote had already seen us so all we could do was to try a shot from the truck. The coyote was only about 450-500 yrds Randy takes out the good ole long distant rifle he has which this one was the 17 remington and bang the coyote trots off. I just did not understand how a guy could miss that big dog at such a close range!!LOL

So we pressed on to the 2nd to the last stand of the night. While driving to the stand we had to go along a road on top of the levee!! Well this road has some curves in it no big thing unless you are riding the Ragncajn who choses to go about 40 mph. At each curve there is a little side road that you can take off of the levee. I did not know this until it was to late, yep you guessed it, at what felt like 50 mph he takes this road I reached for the roof of the pickup and the dash at the same time as my stomach goes into my throat we start to go down the other side of the levee. I said you $#%^&&*%%^&&$#%# crazy a#$### cajn what are you trying to do. I look at Randy and he is dying with laughter. I get out of the truck and check my shorts for dingle barries because I have just had the Sh$$%$#TT scareed out of me it took Randy about 5 minutes to regain his compossure because he was laughing so heard.

After Randy quite laughing we managed to call up a double but only shot one!!
The next morning we walked about 1/4 mile or so sat down at the edge of a tree line and started to call we saw 2 coyotes at about 1000 yrds and it looked like the male was chaseing the female in order to breed her. Then about another 5 minutes we had another double that came in. Got the both of them. If anybody ever has the opportunity to go hunting with Randy and his son I would highly recommend that they go I have never laughed so heard for so long in my life!!! They are excellent folks to be around. Thanks for everything Randy!!!

We will try to post some pics later on..

Randy is one of the all time great guys, He tells a story better than anyone I have ever met and he likes to pull jokes on his friends. I didn't get a chance to hunt with him this year but I am looking forward to hunting with him at the next hunt.

Yotedog, I really enjoyed your visit. I especially enjoyed the scream and hand gestures when I ran off that levee and you allmost kicked my dash out of the truck. I know the wreck we saw the night before probably flashed through your mind. For the others, a Ford had run off a high bank road, went over a telephone pole and landed in a pecan tree. He and I stood on the road side and watched the Life Air chopper come in to get the driver. At least we got a coyote from that spot.

I have pictures to send you and we can add them to this post. My USB port on my PC is not working and I can't get the pictures from the camera. Techy guy will be in the shop today and I should have the pictures to you sometime tonight.

We will definately have to do it again. We may even find some more Mudbugs to eat.

If you ever want to have so much "fun" that your rear sphincter tightens up, take a ride with Randy!

Yellowhammer... I thought the same thing... Must be Steven!

Hey PD, good to see ya posting. I do believe you have some pictures you could show from your sabatical in Cajn country.

That levee trick gets em everytime. I have a lot of guys scream louder than Yotedog. I got my USB reader working now here are some pictures. This is what happens when someone leaves the elevated roads in this area at a high rate of speed. He ramped a ditch embankment, caught a utility pole about mid way, this allowed him to gain more air time. The truck was upside down as it went up the pole. You can see the dent in the cab where it slid up the pole. He then landed in a tree and fell back out. Notice the rear quarter panel is dented back upwards denoting the fall from the tree. He lived. This was probably on Yotedogs mind as I drove off the levee towards the bayou.
DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

Here is Yotedog on one of our setups. We are watching over a river bend field. The levee and road are behing us and the River is about 200 yards in front. The wind is coming from the right, where the thickest stuff is and blowing towards the cows. If a coyote tries to get downwind, he will have to expose himself in our shooting area.
DSC_0336.jpg

Steven was running the camera.
DSC_0335.jpg

Here are my two hunting companions for the day under a locust tree. These are nasty dudes. Most of what we called this trip was these thickets of locust trees. In some places they are so thick, man will not venture into them. Makes a great hideout for the coyotes.
DSC_0340.jpg

A close up of these.
DSC_0345.jpg

Will post more tomorrow.

I also can relate to Randy's driving! I thought I was in a Bajha race when we were out in Arizona a couple years ago...

Looks and sounds like you all had a good time, Randy did ya tell him about the snake you and your brother had tied up?
LOL

JD

Quote:
Randy did ya tell him about the snake you and your brother had tied up?JD

That is a story best told in person with all antics applied. Something about telling it in print gets lost in the translation.

Basically my brother and I tied a cottonmouth to two ends of line on fishing reels. We crawled up in two ends of a road culvert and made it go back and forth across the road as unsuspecting drivers tried to run over it. One guy got out with a shovel because his wheels couldnt seem to make it stop. When he figured out what was up, he caught me by the scruff of the neck and dragged me to my house to turn me in to MOM.

Here are the glory shots from this trip with Yotedog. This coyote was the one we got after I ran off the levee and scared Yotedog. I think he was laying down some cover scent from the dingleberries.
DSCF0801.jpg

This one came in the next morning.
DSCF0802.jpg

Thanks for the fun Yotedog.

Did Randy cook for ya? I think I could of ate on that stuff for days that he made. He is one heck of a guy, and I've only met him for a few hours 2 yrs ago. Randy you going to the World Predator Expo in Aug? If so we will meet again. See ya

Hey Plumbbob, good to see ya. I bet your are gearing up for Turkey season.

Yes I will be at the EXPO. Predator Masters will have a booth there. I will be manning the booth. I am looking forward to seeing you there.

Yep, turkey season is just around the corner, this year they are letting the youths hunt all day, hope to get the boy one this year.

I'll be at the EXPO, only a few hours away, might meet some good people up there. See ya

Back