Pop up blinds for coyotes

Im sure some callers use them, but I don't know why? Your hunting predators, not whitetails.
A blind is something extra to take in the field and set up. Keep predator hunting simple, make lots of stands and cover alot of areas, leave the blind at home.

I am considering it. I have seen them used in a couple videos with good results. Most guys can do as well or better without it but I wouldn't write them off.

Quote:
Im sure some callers use them, but I don't know why? Your hunting predators, not whitetails.
A blind is something extra to take in the field and set up. Keep predator hunting simple, make lots of stands and cover alot of areas, leave the blind at home.

I agree, I have one and have used it with good success. However it was a PETA to carry everywhere. If your gonna make more than one set, I say forget it.

Chupa

Sometimes I wonder if we all get too carried away getting camo'd up in an attempt to 'blend in'...Normally, I try to set up against some sage or rocks, but in some situations when there is absolutely no cover to work with, I just kind of lay low and restrict my movements. I definately don't want to 'skyline' myself, but I've called in yotes just hunkering down w/o cover of any kind. Maybe they think I'm a rock or a bush?!?!?

I'm sure a blind wouldn't hurt, but would be just one more piece of gear to lug around. If you are driving from stand to stand, yea...maybe. But if you are out there 'hoofing' it, the K.I.S.S. philosophy is the way to go.

just buy a full Ghillie suit.....

It is a portable blind that you wear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

feddy, because your from my home state and the same desert I lived in for years, I got to tell you something. You're not out there to look "cool", your out there to call in coyotes.
You don't need a stinking blind and you won't look "cool" in the eyes of other predator hunters that in the know. So go put on your camo ( another unnessary item ) and try to kill some coyotes.
A lot of newer callers get all caught up in the ( you got to have this and that ) when it's simply not true. Again, keep it simple and make lots of stands.....try to think like a coyote. Good hunting

I have neverr done any predator calling from in a blind, but I was turkey hunting once out of a blind. Had a coyote stalk our decoys. He passed our blind window at 5 ft paying no attention to us, so blinds definitly didnt bother him.

While I agree running & gunning light is a good thing there are hunters and sets that will benefit greatly from some form of extra concealment. Ghillie suits are one of them. Blinds or camo nets can help too.
We have also used camo nets with success. What I call the personal size, about 5x7 rolls up small as a loaf of bread and is very light. These conceal movement very well while allowing you to shoot right through them. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&id=0021457

I make a few very makeshift blinds out of limbs or branches or whatever I find during the off season. Not always but sometimes its nice to have. It's free too.

I wouldn't waste the money on it

KH

I have made several stations lately using a pop-up blind. The only reason for doing it is to keep my 4 year old hunting partner from blowing the station. He can handle about 5 minutes but after that he just does too much wiggling. Now if I could only keep him from yelling "There's a coyote, SHOOT!"

It seems that using a pop-up blind adds about 10 minutes at beginning of a station and 5 minutes at the end, plus there is a disturbance factor as well as more limited locations to setup. I will continute to evaluate and perhaps I will finish about the time my partner can sit still.

I have one that I use with the kids while turkey and deer hunting. Last year my daughter and I had a coyote come from behind us and right next (10 feet) to the blind while muzzleloader hunting. My 8 year old daughter got all excited and it ran out about 50 yards before stopping to look back. I put a .50 cal hole in him. Just got the tanned hide back for my daughters wall, she still talks about that evening. You can't beat them when hunting with kids.

We tried to call coyotes to the blind while turkey hunting last spring, and we never brushed the blinds in, you don't need to for turkeys, and although we called coyotes into rifle range, they stayed far enough out that a bow wasn't the tool to have in hand. They didn't like the blinds stickin' out in the middle of the fields and with the sound coming right out of the blind, they simply didn't approach any closer than they had to.

The only blind I've used was a ground blind from JS that was just a piece of camo material about 10' long and about 2-1/2' tall. Comes with some stakes and I used it just to cover up my wiggly legs. Than I found a very comfortable seat with a tall back rest and I find when I'm comfy I sit still longer. With my full camo I no longer need a blind. Just one more thing to carry around.

Quote:
feddy, because your from my home state and the same desert I lived in for years, I got to tell you something. You're not out there to look "cool", your out there to call in coyotes.
You don't need a stinking blind and you won't look "cool" in the eyes of other predator hunters that in the know. So go put on your camo ( another unnessary item ) and try to kill some coyotes.
A lot of newer callers get all caught up in the ( you got to have this and that ) when it's simply not true. Again, keep it simple and make lots of stands.....try to think like a coyote. Good hunting

whoah man, you got your methods i got mine. this guys asked for advice on a blind and i gave it to him. i didnt say i use one did i. you hunt different terrain different coyotes then i do, alos with different methods... and didnt meen cool like a huntington beach surfer cool. i meant cool like its a good cheap product you can use to hunt several different animals. and you say hunters get caught up in the you got to have this and that. well with you telling me that its not necessary or cool your telling me what i have to have and do. so hunt your coyotes and ill hunt mine. thanks have a fantastic day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif God Bless, and he loves you too

Unless you are trying to conceal a kid or yourself if you can't get in the brush they are a waste of time, money, and are not as effective as backing in to a bush.

They are excellent where you'll be stationary for long periods of time, want some protection from the elements, want some extra concealment to flop around with a bow and arrow, or you are taking the young ones out. Not your typical coyote calling scenario.
They might have some merit if you have the patience and determination to stake out a carcase or something where the added warmth and long term concealment would be a bonus.

I hunted out of one during deer season with a first time hunter this year with excellent results. I have also used one in the last couple of late gun deer seasons when the weather was bad - single digit temps, wind, snow, etc...
Add a propane heater and some good coffee and you're set.

For the typical 15-30 minute coyote calling stand they are not a good idea. Just like Billy The Kid said.

Back