Lion Down

Klicker

This afternoon, while walking down to a point to check for scrapes, I spotted not one, but two small cats laying side by side at the base of a pine tree. They were about 70 yards away and watching me approach. I sat down and shot the one on my side. He dropped 7 steps from where he was shot. They were lined up so close, I probably could have killed them both with a single shot if I had moved to the left a few feet. The following pictures are shamelessly arranged to make the cat look larger than what it is. It was probably 60 lbs at best. Cats were at the base of pine in center of photo.
e981a27c.jpg

This is where he ended up.

8062fcfd.jpg

Big cat pose...
fa9a21eb.jpg
aad1eaf8.jpg

I cased the pelt, if someone wants a small cat for a full mount, this would be a good one.

The rancher is very pleased to have a cat taken. It looks like this will open up some new turkey hunting ground for me.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!

My friend in Oregon shot a smaller cat a few years ago and just got it tanned. It was cased, not opened up like a rug, and it made a nice wall hanger.

Congrats

Congrats Klicker,any dead lion is a good one.We don't pick and choose.If have tags we shoot any size cat.They are killing lots of deer and big horn sheep around here.The few cats we get helps the other game.

Born2BWild, The rifle is a Remington 722 in 222 caliber.

Three 44s, I will be over your way sometime in March. I'll stop by.

An interesting sidenote: I had been calling for approx. an hour just over the hill from these cats, about 400 yards away. I don't know if they were working thier way to the call, had come in unseen, and were leaving, or if they couldn't hear the call due to contour of the hill. Or maybe they heard the call and were simply uninterested.

Very cool. I can't imagine having a lion population at such a high level that all you have to do is walk around and shoot them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good job with the cat and the posts. As Weasel always says, "we like pictures". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Mike Granger, It was almost too easy. Now if I can just get a big tom in the crosshairs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I went back to the kill site yesterday. The second cat had returned and eaten the remains of the first cat.

"Jes walk around and blast lions ..... " ...... LOL!!

Well they are thickening up but not quite that dumb yet ..... but stay tuned .... the "day is still young"!

Klicker,

Cougar remains for cat bait .... that's a new one on me ... but I have heard that when a cats guts are a growlin' ....

..... watch out for a CAT SCAN!

Three 44s

Just saw this, Klicker. Don't know how I missed it before.

Way to go! Too bad you didn't have tracking snow to see if they had come in and watched you and just moseyed back out to let you leave when you all of a sudden appeared on their back trail. (My theory based on your information.) Lion down is lion down! Those Sub-adult pairs (likely littermates) are a deer killing menace, make no mistake! Great job!

I haven't been out for THREE AND A HALF WEEKS!!! (Writhing in agony here!)

Back