Adjusted my Remington 700 VTR X-mark trigger

Killertraylor

I have adjusted several older Remington 700 factory triggers, but was baffled when I removed my new VTR .223 from the stock yesterday to see the X-mark trigger did not have the same 3 adjustment screws. Called a buddy who had a 700 tactical with the x-mark trigger to ask him if he adjusted his. He said it was a piece of cake - he took his to a gunsmith and the smith did it while he waited and showed him how to do it - just back out the screw on the front of the trigger a few turns. The sear screw in the back of the trigger is practically welded in place, but I was able to get a perfect 2.5 lb consistent clean pull by backing out the adjustment screw on the front (allen head) and then using nailpolish to set it in place. Big relief as it came from the factory at 9 or 10 lbs. Now that it's adjusted, it feels better than any of my older model 700 triggers that I had adjusted.

If you do this, make sure you do the safety check - slam your bolt home at least a dozen times and make sure the firing pin does not release, and also put the gun on safe several times and make sure it won't fire on safe. I've read on some other boards that you can ruin the X-mark trigger by attempting to adjust it, so proceed at your own risk. Seemed awfully simple to me though.

You're right, technically, it has 3 screws. They are situated a little different from the older triggers. The gunsmith my friend went to said they don't adjust the same way as the older triggers? I'm certainly no expert having done a grand total of 10 or so trigger jobs on 700's, but this was the easiest one yet.

The x mark trigger only has 1 screw on the front of the trigger assembly and not 2. I have a sps varmint but mine isn't much over 3.5lbs from factory and I like it where it is.

Be careful as I have heard of 1 guy that adjusted his too low and it passed all safety test except when he put in a live round and closed the bolt the gun went off 2 times! He had to add more lbs back into this trigger! So point gun in a safe direction and slam it shut 4-6 times with a live round and make sure you don't get a miss fire!

My new SPS only has 1 screw on the front also and is factory set at a little less than 3.75lbs. according to my RCBS scale. It breaks at the same place every time I would not want it much lighter on a pred. rifle.

Quote:
The x mark trigger only has 1 screw on the front of the trigger assembly and not 2.

Your triggers must be very different than mine.

I have adjusted nearly 20 of these triggers, 4 for my own rifles, and ALL of the MK-X triggers I have had access to had TWO screws in the front of the housing.

I think there must be two different models of the Remington MK-X trigger... ya' thunk???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yea, I went through this a couple of months ago and mine has two screws too. One of the screws is backset a little more than the other inside of the housing. Maybe they're just not seeing it. I can't imagine them making two separate triggers. Another thing to watch out for. After I adjusted mine, I loved it. Light, crisp, no creep at all. I shot it at the range a couple of times after all safetey checks were done with no problems. Weeks later on a hunt in severe cold weather when I went to push the safetey from safe to fire....boom. Couldn't get it to do it again. Thought maybe my glove bumped the trigger. The next day, really cold again, with a cold gun, loaded a live round, pointed it at the ground, safetey off....boom. So, the moral is, too low on the x-mark= unsafe trigger. I increased the pull weight a little more and haven't been able to make it fire this way again. Believe it or not, cold will play a big part in trigger adjustment.

That's good to know about the unexpected firing. I'll check mine today. I think they all have 3 screws - the top one on the front is just indented inside a housing, unlike the old model 700 triggers where the two front screws were much more visible.

After you get it where you like it, I would leave it out in your truck on a really cold night and safely try the safety. You'll be glad you did.

You need to break out the reading glasses and look a bit closer there are 2 screws on the front of the new trigger....
VTR5.jpg

VTR4.jpg

I made these for another guy that was having trouble.

Thanks guys, I took mine apart and did find that top front screw, it was way back in there, just not as obvious as the old style. I usually like my hunting rifles at 2.75 to 3lbs. This new rifle like I said earlier is 3.75lbs so I may take it down a little, even though it does not feel too bad the way it is now.

that looks like the same trigger that came on my new sendero, I thought it was the same as the old ones, 2 screws in the front and one in the back. the pull weight screw was the only one that would break loose for me on mine, I even tried heating the others with a soldering iron. mine was set to 4# from the factory, I adjusted the pull weight screw down to an awesome 2# pull, it came out awesome breaks very nice. if it where me I would try just adjusting the bottom front screw to the weight you want and then see what you got before dinking with the other screws. had I not worried about the other screws this trigger was as easy as adjusting the one on my tikka T3 and feels better to boot

The other two are locktited to prevent (accidents) you need to soak the trigger in a penetrating break free to get them loose.I got mine where I wanted it with the WOP screw.

Back