bolt action shotguns

skipnjoe

Was interested in a mossberg bolt action. I called a dealer and he recomended not shooting the 3 inch shells because they have a tendency to blow up.Being a bolt action I thought they would have plenty of strength. I wanted to find a 595k with c-lect choke that is chambered for the 3 inch. Could it handle t shot 3 inch/buckshot loads?

Wouldn't you think that if they "tended to blow up" Mossberg would have pulled them back. The liability is just too great to risk that kind of failure.

I'm still try'n to figure out why anyone would want one, Before that I would go with the ol standby pump, seems it would allow a faster second shot anyhow, as you would never have to move your hands on the shotgun.

I had one as a kid shot alot of things with that old 16 ga ahhhhh the meories...... thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I will tell you that a guy I took on a duck hunting trip two years ago had a bolt action and never once got to a second shot. I prefer the pump, even over an automatic, but to each their own.

I don't know what kind of a dealer you went to, but if it is chambered for 3" shells, you can be sure its safe to shoot them. My first shotgun, back in 1960 when I was 12, was a bolt action 20g. and I never felt handicapped with it. my reasoning for getting it was, I could not afford a pump or double, the bolt action was only slightly more money than a single shot and I figured it would give me a quicker followup shot. as my constant companion at that time was my Marlin bolt action .22, this thinking worked out quite well for me, and that shotgun accounted for alot of game. If thats want you want, I think you ought to go for it.
Barry

if i were you, id not get the Mossberg. keep looking for another good deal because my grandpas friend brought his Mossberg bolt action hunting with us once, and it wasn't good. the bolt fell off, the shells didn't stay in the magazine, all sorts of problems. i would never buy a Mossberg.

I have a Mossberg 20 gauge 385T bolt bought when I was a youngster in 1977. I have heard the same warning about the 3" and high pressure reloads. I have fired some 3" thru mine without incident so far.

Unlike bolt action rifles the only thing similar to a lug locking the bolt is w flat spot on the bolt handle. Although I am not an engineer, it does not look very strong. A cut and paste of a recall for some Mossberg bolts is pasted below.

USA Recall Detail
Model 695® Bolt Action Shotgun

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

O. F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of its Model 695® bolt action shotguns. The recall is being initiated as a result of recent findings by company officials that a limited number of shotguns may discharge when closing the bolt during the loading of a live shell into the chamber.

The Mossberg Model 695® shotguns under recall were produced in 1995 and 1996, within serial numbers ranging from M000101 to M015304, inclusive. No other firearm models within the Mossberg product line are affected by the recall. Maverick Model 95 bolt action shotguns within the identified serial number range are not affected.

WARNING: DO NOT LOAD OR USE YOUR MODEL 695 SHOTGUN

Consumers who purchased one or more of the shotguns falling within the affected serial number range should not load or use the shotgun until it has been inspected and/or repaired at the factory, as an accidental firing may cause injury or death to the user or bystanders. Shotgun owners should not attempt to diagnose or repair the shotgun themselves.

Anyone (within the U.S.A.)who currently owns or possesses a Model 695 shotgun within the recall range, or who purchased one and gave it or sold it to another party, should contact the company immediately by calling the toll-free Mossberg Model 695® recall hotline:

1-888-920-0486
(Monday through Friday 9 AM - 6 PM EST)

I looked at the old advertisments and manuals and they all say you can shoot buckshot /slugs and magnum shells? Is there any strong action bolt shotguns?

Last edited:
Killed many a squirrel with a Mossberg .410 bolt action. It had a 3 rd magazine and interchangeable chokes you screwed onto the barrel, not in.

Quote:
Ya I thought it sounded like "bull" to me Ha ha!

I remember reading some information in a Ballistic Products shotgun loading manual, cautioning to avoid the bolt action shotguns due to their tendency to develop excessive head space.

This may be what they are referring to in terms of "blowing up". Although, I don't know if the pressures in a shotgun are sufficient to cause that problem from excessive head space.

Quote:
Quote:
Is there any strong action bolt shotguns?

Yes, the Savage 210:
Savage 210 link

Bruce

$600 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
For the price you could buy a good used Beretta 390 or 391. Or a new super nova. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Have a bolt shotgun if you like but it just doesn't make sense to me when you get into that price range. Is it an accuracy thing? I could see if it were a money thing, not being able to afford a good pump or auto, $150-$200 for a mossberg doesn't seem like a bad deal. But you get what you pay for. Heck my first year in college I bought a winchester 1300 12ga for $189 at a pawn shop. Still one of the best guns I have owned.

Last edited:
I bought a western field 12 ga at a gun store (mossberg model 395k) for 75.00. Cleaned off the rust with some hopes 9 and it looks to be in good shape. I like the looks and feel of it and the c -lect choke. I looked up the advertisments and manuals on the internet and they say it's okay to shoot slugs and buckshot and even magnum loads.I might stay away from the magnums but I am going to try the slugs and buckshot.I might upgrade to a 870 later but I have always been a bolt fan even if it is a shotgun.

Back