removing Moly coat from a barrel?

picksbigwagon

I bought a used 243 from a friend who shot only moly coated bullets. I do not want to reload moly bullets and was wondering how I can remove it from my barrel. The gunsmith at GM said it was darn near impossible. will I be okay shooting non moly bullets out of it or do I need to clean out all the moly first. Which leads to how do I clean out the moly from the barrel? Thanks for the help

If you use Kroil or Sweets, or Wipeout or any of the other barrel solvents you'll take the moly off no problem.

give it a good scrubbing and it'll come out, not too tough.

then shoot away.

here ya go....

Q: Should I shoot Moly Coated bullets?
A: Any shooter who goes through a lot of rounds during a shooting session should use Moly Coated bullets. Moly is a dry lubricant that allows you to shoot more rounds before you have to clean. Since you get less fouling using Moly Coated bullets the accuracy level of your load will last longer within a shooting session. If your load did not shoot without Moly, adding Moly will not make your load shoot. Moly does not eliminate the need to clean your barrel. You just don't have to clean as often. Moly will reduce the pressure of your load, which will result in a slight loss of velocity. In most situations a little more powder can be added to get you right back to the velocity you want to shoot. If you are shooting a compressed load with non-Moly bullets you may not be able to add more powder. It has not been conclusively proven that premium accuracy life of a barrel will be extended using Moly. However, since you don't have to clean as often due to reduced fouling premium accuracy during a particular shooting session does last longer.

Q: If I use Moly Coated bullets how should I clean my barrel?
A: The following is one way to clean when using Moly Coated bullets. It is not likely the only way you can clean if you are using Moly Coated bullets.
1. Push one patch wet with Kroil Oil through the barrel
2. Repeat step 1.
3. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
4. Repeat step 3.
5. Push one patch wet with Butch's Bore Shine through the barrel.
6. Repeat step 5.
7. Let the barrel soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
9. Repeat step 8.
10. Using short strokes back and forth push one patch wet with USP or JB Bore Paste through the barrel.
11. Push one patch wet with Kroil through the barrel.
12. Repeat step 11 twice.
13. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
14. Repeat step 13 three times.
15. Use bore scope or visually inspect muzzle for copper fouling.
16. If copper is present repeat steps 10 through 15.
17. If you are storing the rifle push one patch wet with quality gun oil through the barrel.

Off Berger Bullet website...

Here's what Brownell's says in their guntech section about moly and cleaning barrels that have shot moly.

GunTech

GUN CLEANING CLINIC: Moly-Coated Barrel Maintenance
Know What Your Customers Need To Know
by: Steve Schmidt

If your initial thought was that moly-coated bullets and barrel treatments were simply a fad to go by the wayside, think again. Today, most commercial and specialty bullet manufacturers are offering moly-coated projectiles, and sales are sky-rocketing.

With moly-coated bullets and barrels your customers may experience longer periods of accuracy between cleanings. But like in all other cases, cleaning is a necessity.

Moly is here to stay until technology replaces it with something better for those who shoot a lot. And, your customers are going to want to know about it. In this Cleaning Clinic, we'll take a closer look at preparing a barrel for use with moly and address routine bore maintenance for moly-treated barrels.

Pre-Moly Barrel Preparation: Getting Down To Bare Metal!
Assuming most first-timers will be using moly in a seasoned barrel, let's go from there. Make it clear to your customer that nothing is gained by spreading moly over a contaminated bore surface. Stress the importance of starting out with a clean bore. Nobody enjoys it, but a good-old-fashioned, elbow grease cleaning removes all traces of lead and copper jacket fouling and sets the framework for superior results with moly lubricants.

Tackle this job by selecting a standard, bronze bore brush one caliber oversize, or use our new Double-Tuff™ bronze or Heavy Weight nylon bore brushes in the correct size to match your caliber. The Double-Tuff and Heavy Weight fit tightly and provide a superior scrubbing action. Be prepared to push a little harder than with conventional brushes – the heavy gauge bristles don't flex much and retain their diameter, so you'll see fantastic results and in less time.

Start by using your primary cleaner and scrubbing out the powder fouling. Next, drench your nylon brush with a proven copper solvent such as Sweet's 7.62, Hoppe's Benchrest, Butch's Bore Shine, or go with J-B® Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound worked into a bore mop or a patch wrapped around your bore brush (nylon or bronze). Again, to ensure a good, snug fit, go oversize one caliber if you decide to use a mop. These cleaning methods will remove the toughest fouling, even the built-up crud that hides in the tooling marks and heat stress cracks caused by shooting.

Advise your customers to follow the manufacturer's recommendations closely, especially when using ammonia-based cleaners that can harm the bore when left there too long. If you’re using an ammonia-based cleaner, stick with the nylon brushes. When you’re comfortable that the bore is free of lead, powder and copper, give it the once-over with your favorite copper solvent to ensure those blue-green patches are a thing of the past.

How To Treat Your Barrel With Moly Bore Paste
Wrap a cleaning patch around a brush one bore size smaller than your barrel. Rub a liberal amount of Brownells Moly Bore Treatment Paste into the patch. Warming the barrel with a hot air gun or hair dryer can improve the effectiveness of the treatment.

Swab the bore with Brownells Moly Bore Treatment Paste until you feel a slight "drag" to your cleaning rod (usually about twelve to fifteen passes through the bore.) Run a dry patch ten to twelve passes through the bore to both remove any excess Moly Bore Treatment Paste, and burnish in the Moly Bore Treatment Paste.

Routine Cleaning When Using Moly
Cleaning a moly-treated barrel requires no voodoo magic. Claims, that removing too much moly during a cleaning session will drastically degrade accuracy, are essentially unfounded. How often to clean is largely dependent on barrel quality, caliber, powder choice, number of rounds fired, etc. However, when to clean is less subjective. Teach your customers to learn and judge the shooting characteristics of their rifles. With moly, the time to clean is when the level of bore fouling becomes detrimental to accuracy. It's just that simple.

Lets face it, less efficient, overbore cartridges such as the .17 Remington and 6mm-284 can leave behind enough fouling in 20 rounds to cause a noticeable drop-off in accuracy. Use of moly should extend shot strings at least twofold, but the need for a thorough cleaning is inevitable. Cleaning should be aggressive enough to remove all existing moly residue in the bore and provide a "fresh" bore surface to build on – no moly, no copper.

A winning combination among many moly shooters is Kroil and J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound. Nothing seems to get under and loosen moly quite like Kroil. It penetrates deep to loosen and lift it from the bore surface. J-B gently removes the remaining moly and attacks caked-on copper build-up. For routine cleaning of moly-treated barrels, pass a couple patches of Kroil through the bore followed by several dry patches. Resume with a couple patches soaked with your favorite copper solvent. Let soak for approximately ten minutes and proceed with two or three dry patches. Short stoke J-B about ten times through the bore, followed by two patches of Kroil. Finish by pushing dry patches through the bore until they appear clean and dry.

If the rifle will be put in storage for an extended period, run a patch of gun oil through the bore to prevent rust and corrosion. Before shooting, dry the bore completely and treat a couple of oversize patches or a bore mop with Brownells Moly Bore Treatment Paste. Run it down the bore to burnish the moly into the surface metal. This should reduce the number of fouling shots to regain optimal barrel accuracy (1 or 2 shots) and helps prevent corrosion.

2 great posts guys, but I am looking for the complete opposite. I DO NOT want to shoot moly coated bullets. The barrel was shot with moly coated bullets so it has moly coat in it. How do I remove the moly coat? Do I do nothing and shoot it out of the barrel eventually? Thanks for the lessons on why to molly, but I don't want that.

the second part of my post....

it will get the Moly out...

LIKE Crapshoot and my post said... Kroil and follow the rest of Part 2... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Moly is just another fad that has seen it's day. Everybody tried it and most eventually gave it up. There were lots of previous barrel treatments and there will be more in the future.
Feel free to try them all.

Jack

I use Moly coated bullets in one of my rifles when I'm out to sling lead or blast jack rabbits. It's not hard to get the moly out, it's just time consuming. It does need to come out though. My gunsmith has had several shooters come in where they just didn't clean out there barrels very well and used only moly bullets. The moly traps moisture beneath it and when he finished cleaning it out, the barrel was pitted from breach to muzzle. Now, I haven't seen this myself, but as red-faced as he got when I asked about it, I have to assume he wasn't pullin my leg.

Moly is a messy waste of time and can hurt accuracy. It did for me and the penalty was cleaning the gun again and again. At least I learned something. Wish someone else had learned then told me.

Back