Fastest 30 caliber?

Jacob_Hanan

I was wattching some show on the outdoor chanel were a guy was hunting africa and shot a jackel with some big gun, that i think was a 30 378. but what made me interested is when he said it was shooting 4500 fps. Have any of you guys seen anything that would prove this true?

the 7.82(.308)warbird is the fastest 30cal I have seen. It will spit a 150gr bullet out a 28" barrel at 3825fps. A 30-378 with the same bullet at 3690fps.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was wattching some show on the outdoor chanel were a guy was hunting africa and shot a jackel with some big gun, that i think was a 30 378. but what made me interested is when he said it was shooting 4500 fps. Have any of you guys seen anything that would prove this true?

With a 125 grain bullet (very light for that cartridge), it will do around 3900fps... it will NOT do 4,500 fps with any 308 cal bullet.

Thanks a lot guys!
That sounded crazy to me, But i knew you guys would have the answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I look for the Warbirds on gunbroker every once in a while.. Would be a fricking riot to have one, just very impractical.

There's a couple of other ones out there:

I can't imagine the barrel life on these beasts is more than 500 rounds:
http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lacart.htm

I see there's a 7.82 Patriot out there now in savage clothing. Someone buy it and tell me how nasty the recoil is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

With a 125 grain bullet (very light for that cartridge), it will do around 3900fps... it will NOT do 4,500 fps with any 308 cal bullet.

I wonder what one of those sabots would do (you know the ones that hold the .22 bullet in a .30 sabot)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I suspect it would have to be a FMJ/Match bullet, to keep it from breaking apart in mid-air.

I know that the warbird is a nasty one to shoot. I would shoot 100rd's though my 338win over shooting 20rd's thought that beast.

I had loaded up some 125g Noslers that muzzled around 3950fps out of my 26" barreled 300 RUM. After 3 shots I swear you could fry an egg on the barrel. I would hate to see the accuracy after a couple boxes of 4500 fps loads left the gun. I don't think there is such an animal available that can shoot at that velocity. I'm sure he meant 3500 fps.

I have a Patriot built on the Savage Rifle. I dont notice a lot of recoil out of it to tell you the truth. No more noticable than a .300 WM. Its a great caliber and I took my whitetail this year with it. My rifle has been lightened quite a bit too.

the book says that you can send a 50gr sabboted .22 out of a .308 cal bbl very fast. the one i want to try is the .300H&H rated at 4800fps and max right aound 5000. i think E.A.Brown has the sabbots that you put the bullets in. sounds really fun.

I will say that Richards is building varmint rigs right now that spit a 125gr. ballistic tip bullet out of a 300WSM case at about 4047fps 1-15" twist!! That is the fastest 30 cal. I know of.

Kapac

We load a 30-378 to around 3300 with a 180, That's quite rapid for that one.

I think Richard has the hottest stock caliber, but we did not try light bullets in the Accumark. shoots too good this way, 102 gr of 7828.

HM

Back