YOUTH TURKEY HUNT/PA

foxking

This will be great early season for the kids i am taking two young guns out for the early season, now all PA has to do is sunday hunting for kids. Anyone else going out? I will be carry 25-06 for yotes last year two came in to the call but too far for shot, ill be ready this time.

Ours in NH is May 1 and 2. My 15 year old and my 9 year old will both be going. Should be a good time. We will be hunting out of a pop up blind. Hot coco, snacks, and I bet a game gear gets smuggled along. Maybe we'll even get a bird /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, I will be taking 3 kids out for the youth
Turkey hunt. Im looking forward to it. Last year on the first day of regular season, I had two of the kids along, The one sitting next to me was on his first hunt. I called 3 gobblers in to about 7 yds. (They snuck in the side behind some multiflora rosebushes)
I whispered shoot but my youngest didnt, and when the birds spooked I took one running away from us.
After the excitement my youngest said he didnt think it was safe to shoot since he was shooting past me. I congratulated him on being extra safe,
and then explained how the shot would have been fine other than me getting some muzzleblast.

This year I will also have my 12 year old daughter along; that is if her cast is off her recently broken foot. My oldest ( Justin M on the boards) wants to shoot one with his bow, so the 24th should be a great experience for all.

Good luck to all........Goose

I will be guiding in Ky for the youth hunt this weekend. Man I like seeing those kids faces light up! Its always a fun weekend!

Good luck to all!!

Kee

i was in a tree next to my nephew when he shot his first buck, it was one of my best hunts seeing the excitment, now i have three boys of my own all under age three, my best hunting partner also has a son same age as my twins, the future holds alot of fun ahead. Nothing like having a big tom come in close range to watch that show, only thing that beats it is a bull elk in rage close up. Good luck to all the young guns. Its nice you taught safty first and your son listened.

Hey Foxking, just one little idea about that, you might want to leave the gun at home, you are not allowed to hunt coyote during the spring season until after 1pm. if you are out hunting turkey and a yote comes up, you can shoot. once you use your turkey tag, you are not allowed to hunt for yotes till after 1pm, also you are not allowed to be out before 1pm at all with a rifle for yotes durien our spring season. Hope this helps I didn't want you to find out the hard way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i called the game comm they said i could unt as long as i had spring tag still check it out for yourself, but i called

foxking,
You are correct.So long as you still have a valid turkey tag you can hunt for coyotes.Same as during the rifled deer season,you must posses a valid deer tag if you are hunting yotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Foxking, you are almost correct, yes you can hunt yotes during the spring turkey season, but you are NOT allowed to carry a rifle to do it, during the legal turkey hunting hours, so when asking the PGC about this you needed to state that you intended to hunt them with a rifle. You can hunt, and harvest a turkey and or a yote during the turkey hunting hours but only with a weapon that is legal for spring gobbler.

I did ask them if i could carry 25-06, they said it would be fine but i didi get his name just in case, just to satisfy everyone i will call game comm on monday and let you know there response

i am still trying to find out if we can use electronic decoys for furtakers, no answer yet they are still looking into it. fox pro is coming out with some new decoys i cant waite to try i will post any final results

not for predators either. Only electronic device allowed are calls. See pg. 17 of the digest.
A lot of places sell these devices but are not legal in the state of Penn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Does that mean younger children than the age of 12 can hunt turkeys? I thought they had to be 12 to hunt?

As far a coyotes and turkey.as far as I am concerned the coyotes get first shot. Turkeys are too easy. They are made up as being super hard- I do not see it as a challange anymore. I geuss we have to many- I do not know. They are one easy bird. Does anyone else feel the same??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Matbe 15 years ago when there were less birds?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would love to let younger children hunt them and call them in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TURKEY'S EASY??? you must hunt where there is no pressure , i hunt in bucks and pike county try getting a long beard in bucks not an easy task alot of hunters. It took me three weeks to get the dominate tom on the farm i hunt, yes i could have shot many smaller birds but i wanted the big boy, i got him 11" with 1 1/2" spurs, one of my best trophy's. I cant use a mouth call and i hunt alone so its all slate and box for me. This year i am hunting with a bow for a big boy. I am more excited to take the young guns out, there shouldn't be to many hunters opening day for the kids so it should be fun, hope to post some pics. good luck all

samual WHAT a great ARTICLE, wow. I have been going through the same thing trying to get the right answer so not to get arrested, or if i ever do get a coyote not to have it taken away for using a decoy. I am getting names from now on when i ask a question and the date and time.

guys WHtnite1 probably knows what hjes talking about, hes a deputy for the game comm.
And speaking of him... where have you been!?!?!?! Call me

Back