Groundhog pics from Virginia

jasonpredhunter

Here's a pic of a day of groundhog hunting I did with my buddy last summer in Southwest Virginia. We ended up with 60 hogs, pretty good day of hunting.

39108-R1-10-12A_011.jpg

60 groundhogs is a good day. You must have a lot of them in your area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif GENE'O

That is pretty awesome for one day. Half of that number is my best day, combined with a friend. We only shot one field that day, maybe 75 acres. I live in central Virginia north of Richmond and was shooting soybean fields.

portroyal.jpg

What do you do with all of them? I know it doesn't really matter as they are destroying the fields but I'm just curious. I've heard of people eating them but never talked to anyone myself.

Gotta say there is a buttload of them in Virginia though. I was stationed at FT. Belvoir for 6 months and saw up to 50 a day. Just on post. It's rediculous how many there is down there. Here in Wisconsin I see maybe a half dozen a summer. We don't even have a season for them here. I think landowners can shoot them though.

I don't really eat them, it was about 80 that day and in the middle of June, so they were pretty smelly by the end of the day. We were actually in a groundhog tournament sponsored by a local outdoor store. We won, and second place killed 36. most of the shots ranged from 100-450 yds. Shooting a Ruger #1 22-250, and a Savage Model 12 bvsf 22-250.

You Virginia guys are giving me cabin fever...

All I got is 10" of snow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

man no wonder i didn't shoot many hogs last summer you southwestern guys shot them all. anyway thats a good day off hunting.

Back