New Varmint Rifle

getfoxy

ITs about to be the time of year again when my work starts to pick up so Im looking at a new Varmint Rifle. Not sure which one yet but I have it narrowed down to 7. Im also buying another deer rifle so if I go expensive on one rifle I will have to go not so expensive on another.(see deer rifle post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) What one would you go with and if you see what not mentioned you have suggestions baout please list it as well. These will be used for coytes, fox, crows, and groundhogs. not looking for one specific caliber as you can tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Also no synthetic stocks please.

1) Savage Model 40 in .22 hornet-519$
2)Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter .204ruger-588$
3) Savage Predator Hunter in 22-250---799.00
4)Remington Model 7 Predator in 17 fireball or 22-250--799$
5)Reminton model 799- 22 hornet or .222- 648$
6)Tikka t3hunter- 222, 625$
7) Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter in 22 hornet-712$

6)Tikka t3hunter- 222, 625$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a T3 Varmint, and it's a great shooter.

Quote:
6)Tikka t3hunter- 222, 625$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a T3 Varmint, and it's a great shooter.

+1, though not necessarily .222

the prices on the rifles you listed seem a little high to me, where did you price them at? I just got a tikka t3 lite in 22/250 for $530 out the door, but it did have a synthetic stock. Also got a price on a savage predator of 640 but they have not come out yet for 08.

I would say go with the Tikka as I have several and love em. However, although I am by far not a remington fan, I do like the new model seven predator. If that gun can shoot as good as the Tikka I would pick that over the Tikka. I'm getting one in the Fireball soon. That gun just feels so right for calling. Of course just my opinion. You can't go wrong with the Tikka.

The prices you list seem a little high . If you shop around a little you could probably save some money .

Then you could possibly get a nice varmint rifle and a nice deer rifle .

Let me know if you want some prices , I work part time for a local gun shop here in Ohio .

Chupathingy- I need to rephrase that. " Black Synthetic" The camo is fine but I dont like black at all.

ABout the high prices- That was just the MSRP off of the firearm makers web site. I know I can getem Cheaper, I just wanted a general idea because I will be buying a new varmint rifle, new deer rifle, and a foxpro scorpion or fx5, and Im trying to tally everythin up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ColtChris- I want 2 new rifles, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif dont want to buy just one, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and plus the .243 would really jack up the fox I would think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Im tryin to stay away from the bigger calibers, other than the 22-250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif as I already have a .223. The only reason I put the 22-250 in there is because when I bought my 223 it was a hard decision not to buy a 22-250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, and Im still really wanting one. Im really looking at the 22 hornet, 204 ruger, and the 17 remington fireball as of right now.

One you might consider That isn't on your list is the CZ Varmint in 204 Ruger. Sportsman's Warehouse has been selling them at $530.00 and they certainly shoot well.

I sure like mine and I'm a Remington fan. Unlike the Remington 799 the CZ version of the mini-Mauser action is a controlled round feed action. Great for those enraged man eating ground squirrels.

Bob I left CZ off my list just so you could tell me all about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just Kiddin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I meant to go to there web site and checkem out. Thanks for reminding me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

WHat is controled round feed? I havent heard of this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
That model 7 predator in 17 Fireball looks like the ticket for fox, groundhog, cat, and coyotes to about 200yds. Not sure it would fare well with the wind. The fireball and hornet are probably the only 2 that won't turn the fox inside out. If hides aren't a concern, I would consider the 22-250, they're very reloadable with a wide variety of bullets, you might even be able to find a reduced load for it and save the foxes too. I'm finding it's hard to put the fox in a category with the yotes and groundhogs and not over gun them or under gun the others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

Quote:
That model 7 predator in 17 Fireball looks like the ticket for fox, groundhog, cat, and coyotes to about 200yds. Not sure it would fare well with the wind. The fireball and hornet are probably the only 2 that won't turn the fox inside out. If hides aren't a concern, I would consider the 22-250, they're very reloadable with a wide variety of bullets, you might even be able to find a reduced load for it and save the foxes too. I'm finding it's hard to put the fox in a category with the yotes and groundhogs and not over gun them or under gun the others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

It is tough finding a good medium isnt it. isnt it? My shots are never over 80 yards. So I really dont need the 22-250 I just like it for some reason, but Im leaning toward the hornet or maybe just plain ole 17 remington. I dont reload so whetehr or not factory ammo is readily availiable is a big issue for me.

.I know this wasn't in your list, but you did mention you already have a 223. This year instead of buying a varmint rifle, why not get an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit with some of the extras and dies for your new deer rifle and dies for your 223? Next year you can get the varmint rifle and local ammo selection won't be a factor. Handloading will bring your accuracy and options for your calibers to a whole new level. I don't look at rifles like I use to every since I started handloading. Now I try to find calibers that I can load for to get the effect that I want instead of what I can find at the local shops, not to mention it's much cheaper and more convenient in the long run. Just something to think about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

Thanks for that... But heres why I dont like reloading, and for some reason I just cant get into it. It doesent interest me. I dont get into all of the different ammo shoots different groups, I know it does but Im just saying I dont get into that stuff. Im not real picky about my accuracy. My fox and coyote shots are never over 80 yards, my longest was 103yards. My shots on deer are also always under 80yards. When I sight my rifles in I sight them in at usually 50 or 75 yards. Even my gorundhod fields arent over 100 yards long. Maybe If I had to shoot longer ranges I would get into that. I just dont strive put 3 holes in a dime. I just like getting different calibers. I dont like owning 2 of the same gun unless it is a 12 ga, or a rimfire. When I get into centerfires I dont like to repeat, and I dont like having guns for dual purposes.

Ok Im done.. Sounds crazy dont it? Im not picky with accuracy but amm with other things. I know I could get my .223 and my .17 to shoot way better as well as my other rifles. But around heres its just not needed.

Last edited:
Back