E. Arthur Brown barrels

Mt6mm

I'm rebuilding my 10/22; new stock, barrel, trigger,etc. I have everything collected but the barrel. There are several I'm looking at such as Volquartson 16.5" carbon fiber, but also EAB has a 20", 1 in 9" twist barrel. All others that I've found are 1 in 16" twist. I love to shoot long distance and the extra twist would help stabilize the heavier bullets I shoot. My questions are the quality of EAB stuff and would the lead bullets hold together. I've never dealt with them before, nor do I know of anyone who has run their stuff and it would be self-defeating to have to shoot strictly copper-jacketed bullets. I shoot mostly targets, but occasionally I visit gopher towns and need the expansion of lead, especially at the lower velocities created by distance. I need this to be a tack-driver! Any advice out there?

I have bought encore barrels and I can tell you that they are a great company to deal with, as for the question on the lead bullets give them a call they will be more than happy to help you with any information that you need.

This is a 22 lr, right? You can even buy a 1/9" twist barrel for them? I mean, almost all 22 ammo is 40 grain so the use of 1/9 twist just baffles me.

These heavier bullets that you use, what are they? And you mention copper jacketed bullets- what are these? I have only ever seen lead and copper washed bullets for the 22 LR. Never a jacketed bullet except for the 22 Mag.

Could you clarify this a bit? Im pretty confused! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Also check the Ramshot Acculine carbon fiber barrels.

I have two, a .22lr and a .17M2, and both are extremely accurate withing the confines of the cartridge ability.

The .22lr really shines with plain old Federal standard velocity lead bullets.

E. Arthur Brown recently started making his own barrels where he used to use Shilen barrels. He has a lot to learn. My freind ordered a 6.5 Benchrest Mag and has got the worst barrel that I have ever seen on a rifle.

When I called Mr. Brown, he said that he does not lap his barrels that the costs of lapping his barrels would drive the cost way up...unfreeking believable!

What were your other options?????

A 1 in 9" twist for 22 long rifle? What is with that I wonder? Someone making 68 grain 22 LR ammo? I think someone has some wrong information here sounds like to me.

My bad. Copper-washed is the term I should have used. There are 22 lr rounds up to 60 grains. Further, I believe even the 40 odd grains would benefit at the longer distances I like to shoot. Its just the lighter "stinger" type I'm wondering about, whether they'd hold together or not.

The 1/9 barrel is made specifically for the 60 grain Sniper Sub Sonic made by I believe Aquila. Several different barrel companies are making 1/9 twist 22LR barrels now, cause they won't stabilize in just about any production rimfire.

Quote:
E. Arthur Brown recently started making his own barrels where he used to use Shilen barrels. He has a lot to learn. My freind ordered a 6.5 Benchrest Mag and has got the worst barrel that I have ever seen on a rifle.

When I called Mr. Brown, he said that he does not lap his barrels that the costs of lapping his barrels would drive the cost way up...unfreeking believable!

Thanks for the heads-up! I don't need that kind of head-ache.

Quote:

Thanks ackleyman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I've read mixed reports about brown seems there are much better sources for barrels. Anyway you seem to be at the Top in shooting. Where would you look for a new barrel?
I'm considering a 6mm-06 for my Mauser or Encore.
Defcon

I have had good luck with all of the top barrel makers...never a bad one.

Pac Nor super match three groove barrels and Lilja 3 groove barrels are fantasitc, along with Hart, Shilen, Brougton, Kreiger.

Pac Nor will install a Super match barrel and throat the chamber for the bullet seating depth you specify (you supply them with a Dummy round that you supply) for $485 with a two month turn around.

I have really come to love the Lilja and Pac Nor 3 groove barrels...they copper foul less and seem to be faster in velocity than a 6 groove barrel(maybe just luck of the draw).

Quote:
A 1 in 9" twist for 22 long rifle? What is with that I wonder? Someone making 68 grain 22 LR ammo? I think someone has some wrong information here sounds like to me.

Yes, you do.......

I like Pac Nors too. Only difference between a "match" and a "supermatch" is the price. Have one on a custom 270 WSM that I'm lookin' forward to toyin' with soon. I already know it's a shooter, just don't know the whole story yet....

2muchgun, one of my friends designed the rifling buttons that Pac Nor uses on its barrels.

The difference between a match and a super match is in how the barrel is lapped.

Back