Hunting Crows with a Rifle

Chizzy

I was wondering if it is possible to successfully hunt crows with a rifle if one had a number of decoys and a FoxPro electronic caller. Will the crows actually commit to a good setup and land on the ground (snow) so that they can be shot from a distance while standing still? I realize that most people use a shotgun for crow hunting and shoot them on the fly; however, I am looking for a reason to use my new Savage .223 rifle.

Regards,

Chizzy

Chizzy, I always shoot crows with my .223. On the occasion that I've used an e-caller, I have set up in the trees. It certainly limits your shooting lanes, but, it also gives the crows a place to land and survey the situation. You aren't likely to get a lot of shots per set (most I ever got was 4), but the impacts are always explosive. Hope this helps.
Jazzball

Hello Jazzball:

Thank you for your comments. I am hopeful that I can get the crows to land on the ground (snow covered at the moment) as I do not want to shoot my rifle at crows in the trees for safety reasons. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Chizzy

Chizzy,

I've good luck hunting over bait piles for crows with a rifle. Just will have to wait a little bit between shots but they usually keep on coming. Good target practice!

most i ever got was 4 in one set. Standing in the middle of the bush. Using just my hand call I called about 10 in and they kept circling me. One would land at a time and I'd plug em' with the 17hmr. Havn't had as good of results since, I think they got a bit smarter. (theres always next spring with the young stupid ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Back