BLACK Mountain Lion?

you know, I had no idea there was no proof of black mountain lions. In fact, I've never even done a search on it until today. Everything I read said the same thing. No proof. I guess this can only confirm what I have suspected all along. A jaguar or a leopard that some dumb s.o.b. couldn't afford to feed. I was literally ten feet from this thing. I guess this also makes me one of the luckiest guys in the world. Now, have you ever seen a black squirrel?

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out why this is posted on the Firearms Section? Maybe because this is the only section this topic hasn't already been beaten to death on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
You actually had me laughing when you tried to correlate the platypus, a prehistoric fish, and Jesus to the discovery of the mythical "black mountain lion" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If it works for you go for it... Me, I want some evidence. A carcass of a Black Mountain Lion would make me a believer.

Any takers who can bring forth a carcass or some REAL pictures. This has been bounced around different boards for years and nobody ever coughs anything up. You'd think with the millions of hunters sitting in treestands in the south and east somebody would thump one. At least a pic on a trail cam or somebody crunching a black lion on the highway to give some real proof. You ever wonder why the game departments smirk when people ask about black mountain lions.

Putting the word "Mythical" in front of Mt. Lion doesn't make your narrow minded point of view a fact. And what part of this do you not understand? I am not saying that they exist as if it's fact. I am saying however I believe it is possible and even more so that I think it's probable even if only in miniscule numbers. We have seen melonism(sp?) and albinism(sp?)in just about every other creature on the planet so why is a MT. Lion out of the question? I'm serious, tell me why?

Chupa

Yo.

Found this photo last time this discussion came up. I know nothing about it. It looks like Felis concolor and it looks like it might be black, but I wouldn't bet a dime on either one of those things.
blackpuma_1005.jpg

I heard a lady that worked up at Sugarite Canyon State park saying at dinner one night that she had seen one. I told one of the rangers about it a couple of weeks later, jokingly of course, and he got real serious and said he had seen it too. I stopped laughing then. I wish we could go lion hunting in Sugarite like we used too.

On our old ranch in Llano County, TX there's a landmark known as Panther Rock.

My Grandfather, Paul McLeod grew up in that country & on that ranch. He was born in 1909.

He told me that himself & a lifelong friend killed a black lion up on that big granite mountain when they were both young men.

His friend Ted Bode had cat hounds, & did until the day he died. Ted would still go up there for 45-50 years looking for another. He was limited to only bobcats & fox after that fateful day though.

The story was well talked around each time we gathered for a deer hunt. I grew up listening to that story, as well as others from the old guys.

To my knowledge, and I knew my grandfather really well, he never stretched the truth, nor lied. He was not that type. He was very well educated & was a teacher for awhile.

I tend to believe that they DID kill a black cat up there.

What the cat may have been, is another thing....Nobody imported leopards or such to central Texas back then.

One possibility would be that it was a jaguar out of Mexico. I know that they can still come up. I think a black "jag" wouldn't be out of the question.

But, as I think on it now, as an adult, I wish I had asked more questions back when they were alive. (I asked plenty as it was though...)

I know he killed a 9 point doe, a buck with 5 legs & a couple of natural stag bucks in his lifetime as well.

I killed a natural stag on that very ranch. I know it had a very large percentage of non-typical bucks as well.

Perhaps the older ones that came before us know a few things that we don't.

Since a child, I never doubted that there large black cats out there. Whether I'll ever see one, or one even exists today, who knows?

Barry

I am with GC on this one? For what it is worth, game and fish folks here in my area say there is no such thing as panthers where I live. They have been seen in this area for over 80 years and yes they come in black or tan. One was seen about 5 miles north of my house last year. Funny thing is they are protected in the rule book! If there is no such thing, why are they protected?

Quote:
I heard a lady that worked up at Sugarite Canyon State park saying at dinner one night that she had seen one.

Oh yeah? A BLACK one? In Sugarite?

As for cats dragging stuff in to trees. I haven't seen it alot. But have seen smaller carcasses of animals in trees. I did a little work on a ranch house up above Douglas Wy. All I heard for three days from the owner. My boss is so pissed about his prize ram being dragged up in the tree. I have no idea about black Mtn lions.. Maybe the like to dye there hair like women do.

Well men I am one of those "show me" kinda guys, and from Michigan not Missouri. Our DNR said for years there were no couger here, but for some reason the ones that werent here were protected in the hunting regs. Now days they say they are here and I still aint seen one. I check hundreds of miles of back roads for tracks in the snow and see no proof. I call hunt, hound hunt, and trap no proof. I have friends in most areas of the state and no proof. But regularly people are seeing them brown, black, even pink ones I suppose. All I can say is those suckers must fly across snow covered roads and hide scent from the hounds with fudu or something. I have seen tracks in Montana and Idaho and mounted a 160 lb tom my Father shot near Darby a few years back, but still looking here at home.

Blinddog-
If it is a mountain lion and you will have the hide for the wall, I believe you will also be in a bit of trouble with the law. I know you can't take mt. lions in KS, but KDWP would love to have that hide in the Pratt office. I would stick to a camera on this one.

Most state wildlife agencies have a list of protected species that include species that don't exist in their respective states. For instance, moose and bighorn sheep are protected in oklahoma but that doesn't mean they are here. We have lots of reported sightings of mountain lions and black panthers here. Occasionaly a mt. lion will show up dead (had a radio collared one from south dakota hit by a train in north central oklahoma) but the black panther deal is a stretch to say the least. Its funny how many black panther sightings people report considering how rare a melanistic mt lion or jaguar is even where the species are plentiful. Never had a report of a normal colored jaguar. Apparently its just the black ones that migrate north.

I've seen cougars on three occasions while hunting, exactly where you'd expect to see them. Once in the mountains of Idaho, and twice in the Big Cypress Swamp in the Florida everglades.
All three were the usual tawny yellow color. Most wildlife biologists claim cougars don't have a melanistic phase like leopards do.

I just caught the end of it.

The one with the video of a black cat that the determined was 24 inches was pretty telling. The expert who was telling how they calculated the cat size, and they came up with 24 inches. He then said that was "a big cat", much larger than a house cat.

I just stepped out the door and measured my wifes cat and he as almost exactly 24 inches from tip of nose to base of tail.

They had another person that claimed "we have a real problem" around here. But, after running a camera for over 10 weeks he had not taken a picture of a single predator "known or unknown".

Then they had some ribs and vertbrae that were supposed to be from a "large black cat". I personally know the lady biologist shown, and then when it was sent to NY for dna testing, it came back as canid (dog or coyote).

The episode that followed it is on UFOs. They both fall in the same category.

I can not speak to the black cat issue. However I can testify that there are mt.lions in areas that fish and game say there are not. I live in Ks, KDWP says they are not here, my father and I have both seen them at close range. Recently there has been a frenzys on KSU's campus. A prof got a picture on a game camera on the edge of campus.

I have my theories about why KDWP won't come forward. Their official stance now is "We will not say that they(Mt.Lions) are not here."

alien-ufo-man.jpg

To each their own, but I believe that the chance is greater that these fellows exist,than the stories of black mountain lions. Considering that there has NEVER been a documented case of a melanistic mountain lion, that hadn't been died by a taxidermist, that's a huge stretch. Possible black leopard escapees,sure I'd possibly buy that,still no doubt an exceptionally rare occurance.
Possible? Sure,I guess.Personally I'd buy into undiscovered life forms in the vast infinity of space,of which we've only explored an "atom's worth" in the grand scheme of things.The lion in the old photo above,is clearly felis concolor,and possibly a darker specimen,but it's plain to see shading in the animals coat,and as usual with old photos,the photo has been digitally darkened and the contrast increased,making it appear darker yet.
But hey,if it makes your hunting time more exciting to believe that saber-tooth tigers exist,I say go for it!

PS If a PM member shoots one,I'd gladly offer my services at cost...just to display it for a bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is the ground under that hanging cat black, or is it just a shadow? I'm pretty sure the ground around it is the same color....

Panthers or black jaguars are for real. If you ever see one up close you can see the spots. I have never ever heard of a black or albino cougar/Mtn lion, not to say it isn't possible. I believe a black cougar would be a melanistic, meaning that his color pigments got changed in the mix.
Everywwhere you go, if you say you saw a black panther people say you are crazy. I saw one in PA when I was about 8 hunting turkeys with my dad, we all 3 (me, my brother and my dad) saw it, first thought it was a bear but it was low to the ground and had a tail as long as its body. That was in Potter cty, PA the game warden we reported it to said iy probably escaped from a zoo, circus or private person. Typical.
I was fortunate to see another one when I lived it Crawford, TX when i was 12. I was walking down my driveway one night going to a friends house (we lived in the country) and my flashlight list his greenish eyes. Don't know who was more afraid, him or me, but we both went opposite directions. I told my dad and he told me to keep it to myself. TX made sense, they do get Jaguars in southern Tx and they do change territory for food or breeding. Nothing surprises me. If a sasquatch is ever found It won't surprise me!

Quote:
you know, I had no idea there was no proof of black mountain lions. In fact, I've never even done a search on it until today. Everything I read said the same thing. No proof. I guess this can only confirm what I have suspected all along. A jaguar or a leopard that some dumb s.o.b. couldn't afford to feed. I was literally ten feet from this thing. I guess this also makes me one of the luckiest guys in the world. Now, have you ever seen a black squirrel?

Back