AZ Badger and Coyotes Down!!

azcoyotehunter

Dusty and I headed out to a new hunting spot I had my eye on for a while.

Our first stand nothing.

Second stand one dog came in at the 3min mark, but winded us

3rd stand I shot a coyote at the 2min mark, another dog showed up a couple of minutes later and wouldn't come in.

We had a couple dry stands, then called one in. I watched him run in from a several hundred yards out, he stopped at 180yrds and Dusty could see him as well. I was telling Dusty "now kill him, now now now" right when the dog went to leave I dropped the hammer on him. Dusty didn't have as clear a shot as I did.

Next stand, same thing. A dog comes full bore in till 200yrds and was starting to come in down wind. Dusty lets one fly, 1sec later so do I. We both missed.

Next stand we're calling and I catch something slow moving to my left about 50yrds away, I said to Dusty "Bobcat Bobcat!!" Dusty is real cool about it and only looks but doesn't swing his rifle yet to look through his scope. I lose sight of whatever it was. I see it again and when I get the crosshairs on it I realize "BADGER!!!!" BAM!! He's down. I'm high fiving Dusty (been looking for a trophy badger for sometime, this guy had no exit wound).

We call another couple of stands and have a really dark coyote wind us and take off.

Not bad for a 5 hour hunt. Dusty and I will be back out next weekend, to try and top this one!!

Although Dusty didn't get a dog today, his spirits were high and he had the right attitude!! Something I look for in a hunting partner, I may have dropped the hammer on three critters but it was the hunting team that got the kills.

Dusty... bring more than 5 bullets this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

101_0927.jpg

101_0924.jpg

101_0923.jpg

Last edited:
Hadn't seen you guys post in a while. Wondered if you'd hung it up this season.

Badger is nice and a big one. No exit on a .17hmr or you shooting a .223? If .223 what are you shooting as I can't find a workable load that doesn't destroy the target.

High five on the coyotes and the Advantage Max 1 camo. As we've gotten this rain and it's gotten really green, it's the best camo for the desert, bar none.

Quote:

Badger is nice and a big one. No exit on a .17hmr or you shooting a .223? If .223 what are you shooting as I can't find a workable load that doesn't destroy the target.

High five on the coyotes and the Advantage Max 1 camo. As we've gotten this rain and it's gotten really green, it's the best camo for the desert, bar none.

Scott,

I posted yesterday (Bobcat!!!)

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=0#52766031

Shot him with a .243 100grn Core Lokt round (don't ask me why there was not exit). We had to check him for a pulse to see if he was really dead or just had a heart attack (there was no blood at all, the blood in the pic is from one of the coyotes he was laying next to).
I'm going to hunt another couple weeks, then start bunny bashing!!

Every time I see a picture of a badger, I get more amazed that some dogs will go in their den after them. I think maybe the Jack Russell terrier was bred for that purpose. Anybody know about that? Darned, I nearly forgot; congrats on the story and pictures.

Quote:
Quote:

Scott,

Shot him with a .243 100grn Core Lokt round (don't ask me why there was not exit). We had to check him for a pulse to see if he was really dead or just had a heart attack (there was no blood at all, the blood in the pic is from one of the coyotes he was laying next to).

I missed the bobcat post somehow. Man you guys are on fire down there. I'm taking a new kid out tomorrow to the Casa Grande area. Perfect way to spend presidents day. Hopefully, no rain, and no wind. I'm just happy you don't migrate up here much. I'd have no coyotes to shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again Andy for the great hunt!!! It was a blast, even theough i didn't connect, it was the 1st time i've been able to pull the trigger on an AZ yote.

Let me know if you find out where the entrance hole is on that Badger.

I have a whole box of rounds loaded up, so i'll remember to bring em'.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Scott,

I missed the bobcat post somehow. Man you guys are on fire down there. I'm taking a new kid out tomorrow to the Casa Grande area. Perfect way to spend presidents day. Hopefully, no rain, and no wind. I'm just happy you don't migrate up here much. I'd have no coyotes to shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We were hunting up in your neck of the woods, not in Tucson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Every time I see a picture of a badger, I get more amazed that some dogs will go in their den after them. I think maybe the Jack Russell terrier was bred for that purpose. Anybody know about that? Darned, I nearly forgot; congrats on the story and pictures.

Dachounds (Weiner dogs) were bred in Germany to go into Badger holes. The long, skinny tail on the doxie is so the hunter can pull them out of the hole.

Quote:
Thanks again Andy for the great hunt!!! It was a blast, even theough i didn't connect, it was the 1st time i've been able to pull the trigger on an AZ yote.

Let me know if you find out where the entrance hole is on that Badger.

I have a whole box of rounds loaded up, so i'll remember to bring em'.

Found the entrance hole between the shoulder blades. Still no exit. Must have been one of those slow moving bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

See ya next Sunday.

I haven't seen a badger in AZ in 23 years. Good job!

If you choose to do the skull don't forget to post pictures of it once you get it done. It would be cool to see.

Quote:
I haven't seen a badger in AZ in 23 years. Good job!

If you choose to do the skull don't forget to post pictures of it once you get it done. It would be cool to see.

4th badger I've killed in 5 years. They are out there!! I've seen a couple others out bird hunting, might just be the terrain though.

I'll be making a rug out of him, and doing the skull as well!

Got to love taking a badger. They sure are an amazing little animal. Those claws will do some damage to anything in it's path though. Great take for a days work.

Jagd Terrier were bred for den hunting, and are still used for it today. They will go in after a badger and come out with it. Go on YOU TUBE and punch in badger dog, scroll around you will find a clip on there.

Back