H.S. boys tearin" em up in CO ( pics of Al Morris's first bobcat on film)

stevecriner

Man what a last 10 days I’ve had. Gerald, Al, Jimmy Estes and I have been in CO. We’ve had a ball. The first few days we took three outdoor writers hunting and showed them what we do best, calling predators. We put seventeen coyotes and a cat in front of the writers in 3 days of calling.
After the writers left we started putting down some footage for OP5 and had a good time. Jimmy filmed Gerald killing 3 during the trip and I filmed Al kill his first cat on film and then Al filmed me kill another coyote. We had a ball. Al and I were very happy because these were our first kills over Gerald Stewart and what an honor it was to have him call our critters in. Also it was great that Jimmy Estes( full time camera man for HS)was there to capture it all on film also. I will give you a sneek peak,,,,these hunts of Gerald, Al’s cat that Gerald called in and my Colorado coyote that Gerald called in will be really good watching, that’s all I can say. Be looking for Operation Predator 5.
All in all we had a good time and a fun run this winter. It was a blast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

On the way thru NM we stopped for some pre roll
cohunt006.jpg

pretty country
cohunt010.jpg

Jimmy filming the range shooting
cohunt012.jpg

Gerald sighting in one of his new Leupold scopes we all recieved, and we love em!!
cohunt015.jpg

Gerald with Jon Anderson the editor of varmint hunter
cohunt044.jpg

over 100 elk we saw
cohunt077.jpg

Great shot of some good fellas and Al's cat. He loves that cat
cohunt093.jpg

Al and I on a pretty rock with our critters
cohunt128.jpg

Al's cat with the call that called him in
cohunt130.jpg

Yeah, you may have been close enough that we could have bought y'all a couple rounds of grape Nehi (Geralds favorite). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can't wait till Operation predator 5 comes out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Looks like you guys had a great time. Tell Al Hi, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and let him know I'm still waiting for my hunting trip with him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ( remind him that I was Kerry Carvers partner at the World Hunt ).

It was a good time for all. I especially enjoyed pulling Steve's leg by calling him Grasshoppa. I told him I would have him out at my truck swiping his hands saying Camo On Camo Off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You need to stop with that "getting to hunt over Gerald" stuff. As you can atest to the guys, I can snore with the best of them and that I can get pretty testy about the hand towl roll coming off the back of the roll rather than the front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aside from the fun of the coyotes we called, my thrill of the hunt was lip squeaking the Bobcat up to within 30 feet of the camera and the outdoor writer. Calling in the 40 MPH wind a good bit of the time was a bummer though.

To answer an earlier question, we were a few miles south of Walsenberg. We hunted the flat open eastern side of the Interstate as well as the foot hills of the Mountains. Access to areas off of the dirt county roads was limited due to snow and mud. That kind of made us stumble over the same calling stands too much. Regardless one spot provided 2 coyotes and a cat on three different days.

I had a good time and enjoyed getting to call for you guys. I promise I will never make another stand without a shotgun being on the stand. That one coyote lived for another day because I could not hit what amounted to a speeding bullet passing within 40 feet of my Rifle. I wonder if Al will let me pay him to keep that stand out of OP5? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I wonder if Al will let me pay him to keep that stand out of OP5? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I bet there is no chance on that Gerald. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was a good time for sure.

I can be had for a price, and Glenda's salsa is wonderfull, but I doubt I could deprive our viewers of such a great learning oportunity about the advantages of taking a rifle and SHOTGUN to each stand. But I just got back from the taxidermist's place and he thinks he can salvage the mohawk I gave that kitty you called into me. So on the wall he will go, and thanks to you and Steve, and Jimmy we burned it into film forever. And maybe I wont have to show all the misses I had before the actual mohawk took place, ahh the advantages of being in the editing room, now if I could only make Criner look better on film. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks again guys, and I hope we get to do it again soon. We might even invite a bum like Lance.:)

Last edited:
Well Al, showing the THREE shots you took at the Bobcat is a great way to emphasize how the sound of a rifle blast does not necessarily mean the animal will run way or stop coming in for that matter. You can edit in his response to your first and second shots to emphasize that point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Great story and pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif It looks like you guys had a blast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kerry

We hunted the same spots a few times but all in all I think Joey said there was 50000 maybe and it was all private. One stand Gerald called in three coyotes and a cat on 3 diffrent days. Two of the days were back to back I believe.

Back