Savage Model 110V Series J???

jarley77

I recently found out that my uncles buddy has a Savage model 110V Series J and I was wondering what you guys could tell me about this gun. He is trying to sell me the a package with a BSA Deerhunter 6-24x50 scope on it. He told me to make him an offer so I was wondering what this gun is worth. It is in very good condition and hardly shot at all.

The Savage J series was a unique run of short/medium actions many years ago - 1960's??? maybe. The action screw spacing and action dimensions are unique to that action. You will probably have great difficulty finding any parts or stocks for it. The scope adds no real value to a used rifle until you get to the premium lines (Vari-X III, VX III, Burris Signature or Black Diamond, Zeiss, etc...). I have seen few of these on gunbroker and/or auction arms and they took a long time to sell and went fairly cheap. When you can buy a new Stevens for $270 and an accutrigger savage used for about $300 I think anything over $150 is high unless there is sentimental value. Any problem will likely doom it to emergency paddle duty at best.

Try to get it cheap based on the new Stevens pricing but do not worry about parts, etc... They have very good triggers that can be tuned to a very crisp. light pull or easily swapped out for an aftermarket trigger. The bolts are built better. The barrels can be swapped just like the current barrels.

You didn't say which caliber but since it's a V, I'm guessing 223/22-250/243. The boltheads can be a little more of a challenge to find but not impossible (unless it's a lefty).

There are a couple of people making aftermarket stocks for the intermediate actions. The early walnut stocks on the V was pretty decent even though the rolled 'checkering' was not that great.

Save yourself a lot of grief, aggravation, and ammo and ask him to take $50 off and let him keep the scope. Get yourself a decent scope. The BSA isn't worth the cost of the rings to mount it in.

Sorry it is a 22-250. I did not know that it was that old the thing looks brand new. I was just curious whether I should pick up this gun or go buy a stevens. Thanks for the great responses. It has really helped me in determining value.

I would definitely buy it before I bought a Stevens, even at the same price. Better blueing, walnut stock, most likely made in the late 70s if I remember right on the V models.

I bought the gun and i shot it with a buddy the other day. Let me tell you it is a shooter and it looks like it is brand new. Does anyone have anymore information on the gun? And maybe an idea of where I can get parts if need be?
Thanks

Still have a 110V, 22-250 in the J model I bought in the mid 80's.
Heavy and awkward to handle with the big stock and 26" HB. The action is a bit rough and you have to load the internal mag just right to get it to feed every time.
I packed it coyote hunting(on foot) for several years and said I was going to trade it off several times because of the weight. Then I look at my load data and change my mind. Too many groups in the .3's and .4's. Shoots 55 nbt in the .4's with H380.
I use a CZ in 204 for a calling gun now but the old savage is still good for plus 300yd shots off the back deck.

Back