Duracoat vs. spray paint ( advise )

spotter

To all,

I am wanting to spary my savage 12 FV 22-250 and scope. I would like to spary a Afgan tan or something close to it. Has anyone used Duracoat? Will it last along time? Does it chip? something else better?

Kevin

I have had pretty good luck with both. If you mix the Duracoat correctly and bake it, it does seem to last a bit better than automotive paints. Since I tend to drag my firearms through the laurel thickets and rocky hillsides of SW VA they both do scratch and chip.
John

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. Spray paint will come off if need be, duracoat, if done correctly, will not, even with a sandblaster! I have applied duracoat to several firearms, and love the stuff. Very durable and tough to scratch.

Here are pics of one in progress:

15fgfhd.jpg

2h30rv4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my DuraCoat;
204RugerAR.jpg

and this is my Krylon;
CMMGM4Repaint.jpg

The DuraCoat (3 colors), with stencils, paint, thinner, clearcoat, and prep treatment, wound up costing me about $200..The Krylon (3 colors) wound up costing me about $20 with the prep treatment from the auto section in WalMart.

I can do a lot of touch-up on the Krylon for what it will cost me to touch up the DuraCoat..

Git you some Aluma hyde from Brownells. It is very durable and permanent. Comes in several colors, and lot less wor and cleanup than Duracoat.

Quote:
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. Spray paint will come off if need be, duracoat, if done correctly, will not, even with a sandblaster! I have applied duracoat to several firearms, and love the stuff. Very durable and tough to scratch.

Here are pics of one in progress:

That top rifle is uglier than sin.....not every body is as nice as me but I'll take that ugly thing off your hands as so you won't embarrass yourself. I'll PM you my address /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All kidding aside, that is one fine looking rifle you have there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chupa

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not have to bake duracoat you just have to keep the mitts off for several days while it cures bakeing speeds up curing but it will not make much if any differance to the durability of the finished product. Duracoat recomnds a cure time of 20-48 Hours I have found that 72 hours is better I find that if i spray a coat on and then leave for a coup[le days then do the next coat /color and leave a couple days ect till all colors are done then let the whole shebang sit for three or four days before i do any thing with it I get a better out come. I am waiting on the barrel and a few other parts for my latest build I got a Digital cammera for my self for Xmas, I am going to cammo this rifle so I will do so and take a searies of pics then post it here would that help any one? This may take a while like I said I am waiting on parts still.

I saw on another forum where a guy made his own 'baking rack' for his barreled actions. He used tinfoil long enough for everything shaped in a 'U' with the opening facing two of the superbright halogen worklights. The lights are the type you can get at Home Depot, they come on a stand and are meant to light up a large area. They put out a pretty good amount of heat-apparently enough to work just fine!

Sick1 that last rifle is sharp. where do you have these done? I want a solid coyote brown on my rifle and scope so I shouldn't need a stencil.

Quote:
Sick1 that last rifle is sharp. where do you have these done? I want a solid coyote brown on my rifle and scope so I shouldn't need a stencil.

I do them in my garage.

Back