I hate wind! (dont understand it)

getfoxy

Yesterday evening I called in this coyote but he came in behind me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Heres the problem. I was set up with the wind in my face. I thought that with the wind in your face that made the coyote come in in front of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif This coyote came in behind me, and stayed behind me until he was 20yards almost directly behind me. Causing the stand to be busted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

What did I do wrong? Do I set up just the opposite? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

No, you setup OK it sounds. Face into the wind or cross wind and leave your downwind side open. The coyote is gonna circle downwind of the sound source to verify what he is hearing with his nose. You need to be prepared to shoot towards the downwind side, that's where 99% of your coyotes will end up at.

The way I read what your saying is he came straight into the wind correct?

If so, That's what they do. He must not of hit your scent till he was 20 yards from ya. When you are calling solo, you have to be prepared for an approach from any direction. Having a partner to split the chore with helps too.

Also, there is no script these coyotes follow, don't set yourself up for failure believing coyotes will all respond exactly the same way.

Hope you get him next time.

JD

Heres what Im saying . The wind is blowing directly in my face. He came in directly behind me. To my understanding if he was coming in or circling downwind he should have been in front of me in the valley I was over looking. Instead he came in behind me and he vever hit my scent trail. He never walked where I had.

HILL

wind--- ME COYOTE

HILL

Hope this makes sense

I set up looking down wind, I know that is opposite from what most guys recommend. I figure if 99% come in down wind I have a better chance of shooting some before they smell me then looking up wind waiting for that 1% that fails to use the wind. You will catch alot of critters before they get directly down wind, but some will bust ya. I dont think as many as if you are stareing up wind were they are reluctant to approach.

Here is what we are understanding...

HILL

wind direction -->>>> YOU wind direction -->>>>> COYOTE

HILL

As Canine has said, that is the direction they will come in 99% of the time. In fact, when I setup for a call, I PURPOSELY setup where I can see downwind (I'm looking the same direction the wind is blowing) and I completely ignore the upwind direction.

getfoxy if the wind is hitting you in the face you are looking upwind most every coyote including the one you called in was coming in downwind. I recommend you set with the wind hitting your back side, then smack the 99% before they smell you.

no, they will come into the wind following their nose... From what you are saying you could feel the wind on your face correct? What we are saying is that you should feel the wind on your back, as that is the direction that 99% will come in from..

For example the wind is blowing left to right. Imaging it starting on the left side of your screen and ending on the right side, much like when typing...

99% of the coyotes will appear on the right side of your screen and follow the scent trail to the left of your screen...

Does that make sense?

yes, they will feel the wind on their nose, not their arse, it doesn't do them any good there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes I have got it. FOr the past 3 years I have set up the wrong way. Wind in my face. No wonder I have only called 3 yotes and 11 fox. Thanks for bearin with me guys. It was A BIG help.

It would be ideal if they would come in that way, but it's just not the nature of the beast. They want to smell everything upwind to warn of any danger, thus they circle downwind of you...

Again, I always setup so that I can watch downwind, as that is where I expect them to come in from. Hopefully, I'm shooting before they are smelling and leaving the country. Yes, I get busted, but that is half the fun!

No you called in a lot more than 14 animals, its just they came into the wind right behind you. As soon as they smelled your stincken butt lol they snuck off with out you knowing they were there. Keep at it kid you got lots of time to figure these critters out. When you do let the rest of us know the secret.

I think Im going to start carrying a small ladder with me so I can climb up into the millions of oak trees we have to keep my scent off the ground and be able to see all around. I have 3 treestands up but none of these are in ideal places for coyotes.

Quote:
No you called in a lot more than 14 animals, its just they came into the wind right behind you. As soon as they smelled your stincken butt lol they snuck off with out you knowing they were there. Keep at it kid you got lots of time to figure these critters out. When you do let the rest of us know the secret.

Shoot I aint gonna find out the secret. But I bet my odds may increase and hopefully I can educate people the way the great people on Predator Masters have educated me. Thanks Guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

So here is how it should be. THe cyote will tend to show up where your scent is blowing to, or atleast they will circle that way. So you want to be able to see well where the wind is blowing towards. I always try and set up so I can see where the wind is going. The yote will try and circle that way. They will use their nose to sniff you out. THe easiest way to sniff is to be down wind.

I always try to set up fo that the down wind side is an open area that they must enter to smell me. IT makes them easier to see.

They never come in the same way. They do have tendancies.

I bet I have screwed up so many stands and called quite a few yotes. This all makes sense now. Why didnt I get it before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Because most of the books will tell you to "face the wind" to eliminate being smelled. Well you truly eliminate that, but you also don't see the critters either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back