22-250 Reduced Loads?

Chris_Brice

Now that fox season is over for us I've decided to try to work up an accurate load that would work well for fox out to 200 yards. Right now I'm pushing a 50 gr. V-Max @ around 3500 fps and it has always blew the hell outta fox. Guess I've gotton tired of big holes. It does work great on coyote and I rarely have an exit even at close range.

I'd Like to work up a load similer to the Hornet, lets say under 2500 fps. I'd also like to try a bullet other than the V-Maxs so identification between the new load and my current reloads is easy. My Savage does seem to really like the 50 grainers.

I live in a fairly populated part of the state so I'd cross FMJ's off the list.

Thanks, CB

If you get a copy of Lee's new manual and read chapter 10 you will find a bunch of info on loading down. It's a good read and for 15 bucks at Cabela's the manual is a good buy.

Quote:
A downloaded .22-250 is a .223. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At 2500 fps? No, thats not a 223. My experience is a .223 will still blow up fox pretty good. I'm looking at .22 Hornet ballistics.

CB

i have found some very interesting load last years,
I use reduced load, because me and my wife we love to shoot the 22-250 on target ( 100 M ) i dont want to burn my barrel, and i wanna fired more then 5 shot before cooling down....
So.
My COL: is 2.350 everytimes.
I have try the Varget and the IMR 7828 SSC, unfortunately i erase all the test with the 7828ssc, but still have the good one.
Here's the resultwith my Rem. VLS, 26 inch.
My Bullet are Nosler 50gr Ballistictip
Primer WLRM.
VARGET:
26 gr = 2668 fps : 1MOA
27 gr = 2692 fps : 1/4 MOA
28 gr = 2870 fps : 3/4 MOA
29 gr = 3057 fps Speed test
30 gr = 3150 fps Speed Test
31 gr = 3285 fps Speed Test
37 gr = 3810 fps : 1/3 MOA

IMR 7828ssc the best i have try is:

30 gr = 2400 fps : 1/2 MOA

At 2692 fps, it just make a nice hole, and they really dont go far, even at 2400 fps.
But all my shot are witin 150 meter.

Instead of reducing the powder charge for a slower bullet, try the match hollow points. I would imagine that a lot of people who read this will poo poo that bullet saying that it leads to crippling of animals. Which will be true of any misplaced bullet. I shoot the 53 gr Hornaday in my swift, and a properly placed bullet dropped a yote in her tracks last weekend, with no pelt damage. The three extra grains should not hurt velocity, and if you want a boat tail, try the 52 gr.

The match hollow point is underrated for predator hunting, after all, it is designed for accuracy, which is the ultimate desire for hunting small game such as fox.

Back