Finally got first Coyote, and a BIG one too

That's a good looking coyote. Good thing you had snow or I bet the tracking would have been tough. The .17 didn't exit did it?

Lonnie, No there was no exit. From the angle, the 17 wouldn't have been able to make it through him.

here ya go
096693.JPG

and
096719.JPG

nice job

DOD, Good for you!
I'm glad you got to recover a dog that big and pretty. I hit one solidly in the lower neck with a head on shot just yesterday with a 223 and it still made tracks for a couple of hundred yards before laying down and cooling off. I was pleased that it was an open field with snow cover or it may have been another story. I suppose that now that you are smitten with this affliction you'll have to go out and do it again. Might want to consider stronger medecine. By the way, how much did that big dog weigh out?

WOW! That dog is a beast and a half! That is pretty sweet you brought him down with one shot from a 17HMR :eek: ! Thats awesome what bullet, Hornady, Remington, CCI or one of the Federal's?

P.S. I don't like were your rifle is pointing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . But good work on the dog anyways.

That's a BIG coyote! Great job.

To post a picture you just copy the url of your picture(must be uploaded to a picture hosting site first) and click on the IMAGE tab at the bottom of the posting page, then paste in the url and click OK, you then can label it whatever you want and it's done! The key is to have the picture on a host site or server.

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yeah Man! DOD got him a big one today!

He earned this one too. The past month he has braved sub zero weather, my bad coffee, winds that about blew us off a power line and lot of walking and hiking. Heck, we even had the jeep going sideways one day on ice but he still kept coming back for more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This coyote came to an a Cottontail Distress call from my JS Power Pro. We sat down, I turned on the CD player, DOD shot, I heard a bark/whine and he said "I got one". I said bad words, more than once /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The call couldn't have played more than 15 or 20 seconds. We were set up in the middle of a field (we would like to thank the farmer for leaving that trailer out there so we would have something to hide against) and there was a cross wind blowing from where the coyote showed up. DOD made one heck of a shot and then did a great job tracking him down while I watched the gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What are friends for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was a great day today. Glad I got to be a part of it.

Christopher,
I had decided right after this one, that for these Big buggers, it is either a head shot, or use the .243, when we go back there (and I can't wait), I will be toting my Ruger 77 Heavy barrel .243. I was addicted to coyote hunting before I got this one, now the addiction is worse. The one bad thought thought I had yesterday afternoon is that I will always be trying to get a bigger one, which maybe quite a chore with this one being my first.

HunterTay,

It was a Hornandy round, my Ruger 17 like those or the Remingtons best, doesn't group the CCI's well, and I haven't tried Federal yet. I was shooting my 77/17 VMBBZ which has a 24 inch barrel and barrel is resting on the side of my neck, the muzzle is actually behind me.
The Coyote was about 6 inches shy of being as long as my rifle from the tip of hose to the base of his tail. (Damn, now I have to go measure the rifle.)

TheHuntedOne,

The way I looked at was it was your vehicle, unless it rolled on top of us, we could walk to mine, and we have always gotten back out of where you had driven us (lord only knows where that was). The coffee was tolerable (but with those frigid temps, anything would have been, by the way, why didn't the coffee freeze /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ). I am glad you were there and will hunt alongside you anytime.

By the way, you plan on going back next weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Those snowshoes in there need some protection from the coyotes, they're counting on us.

Good Team Work, Boys! As much as we want to see the other person connect on one our competitive nature seems to aways come out! HOW MUCH DID IT WEIGH?
22 mag man, I use 50 grain Hornady SXSP's at 3250fps. These are very fragile, much like a Vmax bullet but not exactly and much cheaper and very accurate. I live in SW Ohio and rural sprawl is near everywhere I hunt so I limit myself to the "Super Xploding Soft Points" for safety reasons. I want to be sure that when that bullet hits fur or dirt it comes apart. So far every hit has meant a downed dog and chest shots just thump them good but on this coyote it appeared that there was a sizeable splash wound on the surface and the fragments must have missed the major artorie. If I were to hunt in a less populated area a stouter bullet head would strongly be considered.

Nice looking creature! It's gotta go at least 40# or more? A couple weeks ago I called one in that went just a hair over 40 but it was the darkest one I've ever seen. Not shiny black like a lab but more like the dark version of a timberwolf. (Black legs, brown/black back and chest) Wish I had taken a picture! It's at the tannery now getting ready to hang on the wall. It's been snowing since yesterday and we're supposed to get another 12" of snow tonight with heavy winds tomorrow so they should be good and hungry for the full moon this weekend!

No competiveness here....BUT....next time HE turns on the caller and I get ready to shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That coyote responded faster than my 9 year old when you say Burger King /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back