2 Dog Night (pics)

Lonnie

Went out tonight about 4:30 and made 2 stands. The first was in the 1/4 section across the road North of where I shot one last night. I went in light with just an open reed call and was going to try a quick stand before I went to my favorite cat spot. I called sparingly and pretty quietly on the open reed. I was set up in some timber on top of a knob looking across 150 yards of pasture toward a cedar choked creek. Right after the first 10 seconds of calling the blue jays started going crazy in the draw. I could see them but could not spot anything near them. Called a couple more short sets with 2 minutes in between and decided to look through the scope where they were screaming. I couldn't see a thing but when I got off the scope and scanned across the field again, there was a coyote standing on a terrace about 75 yards out and looking off to my left. I shot him with the .17 Remington and he did the spin and ran about 50 yards and fell. Nothing else showed and I didn't want to wait long cause I wanted to try to get a cat. It was another big male.
Coyote006.jpg

Hurried about 7 miles to my favorite cat spot and set up the foxpro and the enticer decoy about 30 yards in front of me and I sat down under a cedar. Started the cottontail and would run it a minute and off a minute. I did that for 10 minutes or so and then just let it play. I was really watching the cedars along the draw to see if a cat came up and sat down watching me. I didn't think I would see a coyote because I didn't set up good for the wind. After about 25 minutes I looked downwind and there was something on a hillside about 150 yards out that didn't look right. I scoped it and it was a coyote standing broadside in the weeds looking at the enticer decoy. I shot him and he spun and took off but I knew he would be dead just out of site. That is the only problem with the .17 Rem. I have not lost a dog yet but have not had a single one drop in their tracks. They always spin a while and usually run 50 yards. I waited till it was just light enough that I thought I could still find the coyote in the weeds and left the stand. I have called this spot 3 times this year and have taken a coyote out each time but still have not seen a cat this year. This was my 12th coyote for the year and 11th killed calling. I have called in 16 this year and got 11 of them and only missed one. I have made 26 stands. Best year I have ever had. This one was another big male.
Coyote008.jpg

Nice job Lonnie! Good luck on your cat! Thanks for sharing! great read!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks for the comments guys. I sure do love shooting that .17. It just feels good. Shoots like a laser too. I can't wait to see what it will do with hand loads. I've been shooting the Remington factory 25 gr. HPs so far and can't complain about the accuracy. Haven't had an exit wound yet but I hear they happen once in awhile with the rifle. I've got the annual prarie dog shoot on Memorial weekend in May so I'll have some loads worked up by then. Good hunting to all. Lonnie

Back