One shot, Two kills. coyote

sav10LE_308

How a bad day can turn good. After an afternoon of several stands with no luck I went home. I spent an hour or so fixing the red filter for the light on my AR15 planning to do some early morning calling. Got up in the morning and had to drop the kids off at 05:30 somewhere so I thought I could get a good hour of darkness in before sunup. Got out to the farm and getting on my gear relized I had left my calls at home. Went home got my calls got back out to the farm but now its 6:45 and very light out. So I grab my Savage 10LE .308 planning to go sit on a big cliff.
CoyoteDBL22081PM.jpg

It takes about 10 min to get back to it. I get settled in and start a little calling. About 10 minutes later spot a yote way out in a field north of the pond. I start calling again and here he starts coming. Next thing I know here comes another, then another, they just keep coming 5 all togather. I couldnt believe it, you hardly ever get that many at one time around here. They come in to a patch of woods to the right of the pond and hang up. I start howling and barking getting them all stired up. Carried on about a 20min conversation with the alfa male while I watched the others run around and play tag, chasing each other and playing. It was awsome, at that point I didnt want to shoot one, I was having too much fun watching them. One made its way down to the creek at the bottom of the cliff and then went back to the others. A minute later they all came running down to the point the other had been and stopped. Its a pretty good ways around to get to a point to where they could get up to where I was so I think they decided to call off the attack. At that point I was whishing I had brought the AR insted. They started making they're way back up by the pond and acting like they had lost interest.
CoyoteDBL22085modedpm.jpg

I was werey at shoting at them at that point after calling and talking to them for so long, not wanting to get them call shy. I layed there and thought wouldnt it be something if they got close enough togather and lined up to get a double. Low and behold it wasnt 20 seconds later one walked right up next to another side by side. They looked like one dog, the other was right behind it. I didnt even think, just squeezed. BANG FLOP both of them. The front one twitched for just a second, the back one never even fliched.
CoyoteDBL22089modedpm.jpg

CoyoteDBL22087pm.jpg

CoyoteDBL220811pm.jpg

The others scatterd all directions. I caught one running up the north side of the pond now 300+ yds, shot he turnd and ran back down out onto the pond took off stight toward the far end with me blasting away. Thus reconfirming what I already knew. A good way to waste ammo is trying to hit a dog running full blast with his turbos on at 400, 500...yds.
I couldnt help it though

HOMnominatedbanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great post. Graphics, detail, and a rare shot opportunity. Congrats!! I have shot a few with my 308, and have no doubt a double like you shot is not a risky deal at all. I can still remember shooting one, then hearing the 130 grain bullet tumble thru the air for a long ways.

On your stand (again, am glad that you took the time to show this from all angles)...I see why they probably hung up out by the pond area. They came to investigate the sound, which was bouncing around off the wall of that cliff, but they had no way of safe or reasonable approach, so decided to stop, wait a bit, and see if that rabbit was going to fall over the side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you cannot sneak down to the base of that cliff without being detected, but instead had an e-caller with remote, you could have lowered it down the side, on a line.....and called from above like you did.

But you did an excellent job, and thanks again for sharing the story/pics. We appreciate the effort.

Great shot, and setup. Must have been fun to watch and interact with the dogs that long and then end it with a true double. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

That is a first!!Ill secound that!! Killer!! thanks for sharing!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Awesome shot, story and photos, I like that laser point coming out of your scope too!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Congrats nice looking pair... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

GREAT REPORT!!! That is one heck of a NEAT way to get a double!!! That is one shot you will never forget!! Thanks for the excellent photos and the great story.

Back