Savage 12BVSS VS Remington VLS ??? hard choice, need help!!!

eclipse71

I want a .243 for shooting crows, fox and groundhod aroud the farm.
I already own a Remington, very old in .223
And a Winchester Coyote .243 ( regrets so much to sold it..you have no idea )
Life is life,
I'm ready for my next buy, I'm VERY confuse about those 2 models...
Blue Barrel VS Stainless...Honestly: I dont care, there both Very nice....
If you were in my shoes, which one have your favor ????
Thanks
Eclipse71

Lots of folks are saying the Savage is more accurate out of the box and that Remington quality has really went down in the past couple of years. I shoot a 243 VLS that's about five years old and it's a dandy, but the best I can say is try to get into a gunshop where you can handle both and one of them may just say "I'm the one, take me home." Lots of folks really like the accu-trigger.

Savage! I have the model 12 in 22-250 and a model 10 in .243 and I love them both. It would really be hard for me to buy another gun without the AccuTrigger.

IDBob, that's exactly what happen, that's why i'm so confused.
Here's the Story,
The VLS is in Stock since a long long time, they dont sold it, she's maybe 5 years old...and they sold it to me for 700$
The Savage is Brand brand new, I love the accutrigger too !
and the price is 770$
The trigger of the VLS, is ajustable..
last week .I've manipulated both
Now i'm alone in my place trying to choose,
I was thinking, After few days i gonna make my mind..
But...
I try to find an answer here, something, a Klik of the switch...
Eclipse71

I will tell you my limited experience I bought a savage predator in .223 and its shot every load I have tryed under MOA with no work just take it out of the box and shoot. I just got a Remington LVSF in .17 Remington which is known to be kinda picky to load for and after a trigger job and pillar bedding I am having a little trouble getting it to shoot under one inch but I have only shot 45 rounds thru it so far. Just a little more info I was able to borrow a barrel scope and looked down the savage and the lands and grooves looked like sprockets were used to make the barrel but it shoots fantastic.Its amazing the difference between a factory barrel and a custom barrel.The smoothest barrels that I have are both on DTech's one is a OLY SUM and the other a Shilen and to my untrained eye they were both perfect.

Never met a Savage I didnt like, no seriously Savage out of the box is hard to beat when it comes to accurracy! The accutrigger takes some getting used to.

Its no big secret the savages shoot better out of the box. I have a BVSS in 223 and its a shootin SOB. The last 3 remingtons I have had all needed trigger work, a few bedding. Bottom line is all needed patience and more money to get to shoot. When they start putting quality and workmanship back into their product, I might consider them again.

I have a vls 243 floated the barrel done the trigger use 43.gr.varget and 58.gr.vmax shoots 1/4 to 1/2 " groups all day if I do my part 1/4" is no problem 6-18 very.x.2 100 yards

Quote:
Its no big secret the savages shoot better out of the box. I have a BVSS in 223 and its a shootin SOB. The last 3 remingtons I have had all needed trigger work, a few bedding. Bottom line is all needed patience and more money to get to shoot. When they start putting quality and workmanship back into their product, I might consider them again.

Wrong again..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Trigger work = free, takes 5 minutes

How many out of 3 does a "few" mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last I heard, one meant 1, a couple meant 2, a few meant 3,.......

I know just what you're going through. I found myself in the exact same situation a few months ago, pining over which to get. 12BVSS or the Remington 700 VLS... It went something like this, I'd handled the Remmy first and liked it, quite a bit. Matter of fact, I was sold on it until I started reading threads everynight. Well, long story short, I ended up getting the Savage in .223 and I couldn't be happier with it. Accuracy has lived up to being everything I'd read.

I will mention that I really liked the beavertail forend of the Remmy, mostly because it was my first experience with a bench type rifle. I wouldn't mind having the 12 Low Profile in the future. Maybe in 22-250 next time.

Last year I researched rifles for several months, looking for a bolt action varmint rifle that would be suitable for coyotes and deer. At the same time something I could use to try my hand at 500yd + shooting. Money was no object, I chose the Savage 12BVSS and I don't regret it. This thing shoots 1/4" groups.

Quote:
Quote:

Wrong again..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Trigger work = free, takes 5 minutes

How many out of 3 does a "few" mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last I heard, one meant 1, a couple meant 2, a few meant 3,.......

I love how you run your mouth telling me I am wrong again about this thread too. Now not only are you the [beeep] scope police, the money police, and now rifle police. Warning to all, By god if it doesnt fall in line with what 2much thinks...you are a idiot, liar, and dont have a clue.

(which by the way you posted links to some scopes that I mentioned useing for prices but then you go thru and pick ones cheaper than I looked at then called me a liar about posting bad prices, change those recticles and you get the prices I mentioned. Another thing about the FTC thing, Jack mentioned the same thing on that Leupold vs. Zeiss thread a week ago. I ask you WHY didnt YOU take him to task on it as you did me?)

[beeep] is your problem? How do you know so much about the rifles I have had at my house, along with the experience I have had with them. Who are you to tell me how to use, or tell me what I need to do to them, so I can like them when they are done. What is it to you if I tore out the POS stock triggers in all of them, to replace with something good. What do you care about how many of the 3 that needed a bedding job, 2 did so what. I dont think needing some work on rifles makes me wrong. Taking me to task over a word like "few" Time to take your meds man...wow.

I have been here along time, and never had a problem with anything you have posted, for the most part find your posts insightful and interesting. Seems as of late you have a problem with everything I have said, its really too bad. Now where is that ignore user button.......

ETA
If the police or military dont use it...its no good for us hunters and shooter either.

Last edited:
Well, let's see. First there were the Zeiss comments. Then you were wrong about the scope prices, by a mile. The FTC thing that Jack said(which I DID ask him about), that you just decided was true for no apparent factual reason, and the untrue Leupold foreign parts comments. Now Savage is the most accurate rifle in the history of man. Gee, why do I ride your azz lately? I don't know. It amazes me that you need ask, actually.

Gross generalizations abound. Empty cases and spent primers are the best teachers, not reading gun rags on the toilet, sittin' in front of the computer, or believing everything people say as fact without first experiencing it.

I'll leave you alone now, you seem like an all right guy....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"I love how you run your mouth telling me I am wrong again about this thread too. Now not only are you the [beeep] scope police, the money police, and now rifle police. Warning to all, By god if it doesnt fall in line with what 2much thinks...you are a idiot, liar, and dont have a clue.

(which by the way you posted links to some scopes that I mentioned useing for prices but then you go thru and pick ones cheaper than I looked at then called me a liar about posting bad prices, change those recticles and you get the prices I mentioned. Another thing about the FTC thing, Jack mentioned the same thing on that Leupold vs. Zeiss thread a week ago. I ask you WHY didnt YOU take him to task on it as you did me?)

[beeep] is your problem? How do you know so much about the rifles I have had at my house, along with the experience I have had with them. Who are you to tell me how to use, or tell me what I need to do to them, so I can like them when they are done. What is it to you if I tore out the POS stock triggers in all of them, to replace with something good. What do you care about how many of the 3 that needed a bedding job, 2 did so what. I dont think needing some work on rifles makes me wrong. Taking me to task over a word like "few" Time to take your meds man...wow.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I have been here along time, and never had a problem with anything you have posted, for the most part find your posts insightful and interesting. Seems as of late you have a problem with everything I have said, its really too bad. Now where is that ignore user button....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sometime, there are those that get too carried away with their beliefs. I like to keep an open mind and see that is out there. If I like it, and more lately have room for it, I may buy it. But with 40 guns in my safe only handguns got room right now for more. But of all the guns in my safe, no two are alike. And no two scopes are alike either. What's the point? Varity the spice of life. I like what I like and if you dont too bad for you. I bought them for me and that is who they bring pleasure to. I'm going to keep it that way too. For a long time I am going to hope for anyway.

+1 on the Remington VLS...i own one, trigger to 2 lbs is cheap, and i have shot sub 1" at 200 with only about 65-70 rounds throught the barrel. Having said that I have always been a Remington man and haven't shot the Accutrigger. I really don't think you can go wrong from what these other guys are saying.

Back