Called 4 coyotes, saw another coyote , killed one, and saw feral dogs...

azcoyotehunter

Took a buddy of mine hunting with me this morning.

We headed out to an old honey spot of mine, we were getting our gear out of the truck and loading up when I spot a couple black dogs, then a couple more. I went back to the truck and got the video camera out (you can here all the coyotes in the area reacting to their barking). The ones on the video were still pups, mama ran off on us. There was a dead cow up the road, looks like all the coyotes had been feeding on it for a while (tons of dog turds in the area, it's all you could smell!)

We get moving up the road, I start to call and 2min into the call here comes a fast moving coyote right to the call. I mute it and he stops 20 yrds from it. I look over at my buddy and he has his sights on it, but keeps screwing with his rifle. Finally he lets a shot off as it starts walking away. He misses. He turns to say something to me and I give him the Shhhh sign. I keep calling on the stand and here come two more behind us, I point them out to him, he swings around and shoots over his left shoulder and misses again! I'm getting ready to laugh when I hear him yell out "I'm hurt!!" I look over and he has blood running down his face. He hasn't shot his new 7mm much so:
1) He forgot it was a 3-position safety (first dog)
2) Forgot about the recoil; the scope gave him a nice 1" gash on his eyebrow.

We patch him up and get calling a few more stands, I call in a nice female at the 8min mark that spots me and takes off. I keep my cross hairs on her as she heads up him through a lot of brush, when she is 20yrds from the peak of a hill I let out a "AAAAwwwwoooooooooo" she stops for a second and I shoot her in the butt!

101_0896.jpg

Later down the road I'm opening a gate and while waiting for my buddy to go through I hold up my new bino's and what do I see across the valley, a coyote standing in the open. I quickly get my rifle out and go prone, I guess the range at 500yrds, I put the 500yrd BDC reticle on him and let a round fly. Shot right over him, my buddy gets his range finder out, 420yrds... oops!

Spotted a nice buck in the brush and took a picture with my new digital photo binoculars.

DSC_0002.jpg

All in all not a bad day, last time I checked my buddy was sitting at Urgent Care with his wife waiting to get stiches.

the buck in the brush was a nice pic i had a hard time finding it but i did. pk507,the daughter of the midogman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thats strange.
All those piles right there.
Almost makes me think they have been waiting there for something. Do you think someone is feeding them at that spot ?
Or maybe they were abandoned there, waiting for someone to come back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
What do you think ?
Sorry about your buddys eye.
Thanks
PC

Quote:
Thats strange.
All those piles right there.
Almost makes me think they have been waiting there for something. Do you think someone is feeding them at that spot ?
Or maybe they were abandoned there, waiting for someone to come back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
What do you think ?
Sorry about your buddys eye.
Thanks
PC

Looks like my friend's back yard............

Sooooo are there a few less feral dogs around? I hate them. There is a guy feeding a feral dog not far from my house. He has even made it a little shelter and straw bed. What makes me mad is that it is right in the heart of deer winter range. I am sure that dog chases deer all day and comes home to a nice little home with food some Ahole has been putting out. He thinks he is "Saving" it, but he is really killing a bunch of deer.

The dogs had been feeding off that cow. It's in the middle of nowhere so I dont know who would drive out that far to feed some dogs.

The dogs are still alive and well, I'd have to be 100% sure they are feral before shooting them, or for them to attack me.

There's no coyote in those dogs, other than the same instinct a coyote has to scavenge a gut pile. My dogs eat very well, i have a bulk feeder that has 50 pounds of feed in it available to them 24/7, and I still see both of them more than a mile away at times, out hunting and looking for gophers in some big alfalfa fields nearby.....thats what dogs do, they follow their noses,and that can take them a long ways from home.

and I still see both of them more than a mile away at times, out hunting and looking for gophers in some big alfalfa fields nearby.....thats what dogs do, they follow their noses,and that can take them a long ways from home....

I would consider those feral dogs.

I don't know what to tell ya, your "consideration" runs askew to what Mr. Webster defines feral as:"not domesticated or cultivated";"having escaped from domestication and become wild", so one of you has the wrong definition of feral, and I suspect, it isn't Mr. Webster.
One look at the condition of my hound and her runnin' buddy would tell anyone who knows anything about dogs, that they might be a lot of things, but feral ain't one of em.

Nice pictures of the area and critters, congrats on the dog you bagged... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sounds like your buddy was hugging that scope a little to close and ouch........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Did he need stitches??

I guess Im not grasping your point? So in your opinion, my domestic dogs are feral when they are diggin' for gophers in an alfalfa field a mile from home....so what?
It seems to me, a rational man would change his opinion about the concept of feral.....Ive given you the definition,and it is fact, unlike your opinion.

Feral dogs are dogs that arnt tamed. You cant go up and pet them or else they will bite you hand off. But if they are on your property causing damage go ahead and take care of them.

I agree with Chilerojo....

I didn't shoot the dog because... I wasn't 100% sure they were Feral dogs.

For those of us dog owners (and volunteers at the Humane Society) how many of us would be pissed if somedody shot the family dog??
Enough said, I need to be 1000% sure on pulling the trigger.... if the dog runs up all aggressive and ready to attack.. thats' another story!

Better to hestitate than regret! We're hunters! Not killers of the family pat.

Back