Help...Calf Elk in Distress question???

Ursus21

I posted earlier that the predator I enjoy hunting the most is black bear. In the spring they take a pretty good toll on elk calves. It seems to me that a calf elk distress call would be ideal. The only problem is I have no idea what it would sound like (so I don't know how to mimmick it), and as far as I know nobody produces an electronic calf elk distress sound. Is there a cassette tape or CD out there with this sound?

I used a calf in distress to call in a sow a couple of years ago. Long story short she charged twice and stopped litteraly 3 feet from me the first time! Pretty sure I had to change my shorts after that one. I just use lost calf sounds and make it a little more frantic than normal. Good luck, I hope your packing heat!

MSCwrestling, trust me I never try to call in a bear unless I'm packing plenty of heat. Have too much respect for them to want to get too friendly with them.

Good idea, Nonya!

When I want to make a prey sound and don't know what the critter sounds like, I wing it and make a sound I'd expect it to make when in distress. It has worked well for me.

Last Fall I wanted to call a wolf in an area with a lot of caribou. I have no more idea than you do right now what a caribou in distress sounds like. I blew what I'd call a deep fawn bleat, some raspy mixed at times with a plaintive smooth mew. I still don't know if that sounds anything like a caribou calf in distress, but a wolf came in to the sound. The next day, a pair of coyotes came in to the same sound, one of them within 15 feet (there was no wolf nearby or they would have been more cautious). I used an open reed call, one made by Rainshadow who sells calls on this site under custom calls.

If you can duplicate a calf elk sound, go for it. If not, fake it and go for it anyway. My bet is that bears will come either way.

ursus21,
FoxPro has an elk calf distress in their batch of sounds. Get on the FoxPro Sounds site and there is a million different calls. Just google foxpro sounds and scroll down to the elk sounds and they have two. One Elk calf and one Elk calves it doesn't say distress but they sound like cow sounds only higher pitched and babyish....if thats a word. I was just on the site. I don't think you can copy it cause you can hear Mike Dillons voice in there to protect his sounds but you can hear what it sounds like an mimmick it with your own calls.

Peterjc,
I appreciate your suggestion but here is an email I just got from FoxPro earlier this week.

"A lot of folks have requested the elk calf distress.
Unfortunately, getting in the field to record sounds is not an easy process
by any means. Timing and luck are the most important factors. We understand
this is a very highly requested sound and we will get it eventually. It’s
near impossible to quote you a time of when that may be though.
Opportunities for sounds present themselves when least expected, but when
they do and we have the means, we do what we can to get that sound.

I haven’t seen anyone else offer that sound either. You may have some luck
searching the web, but I have not seen it elsewhere myself.

Thank you,

Joe Brumbaugh
FoxPro Customer Service Manager"

Actually I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I guess I'll just and fake it until I actually hear what the sound is like.

Back