IA Coyote Hunt with a couple pics.

BPS BLASTER

Last Sat. a couple friends and I went out to do a few sets. The first set was a bust, the second set was better. We set up on a open hill top field surrounded with timber on 3 sides. One watching the middle the other 2 watching the sides. I started out with female invite on the foxpro for about half a minute, then switched into a ki-yi, stopped it for a few minutes, then went into lightning jack for a couple more minutes and ended it with pup distress, stopped for a minute or two then started the lightning jack again and was going to let it play for about 5 min or so, after a couple minutes into it, I heard the guy watching the other side of the field shoot, then about 3 seconds later the guy next to me watching the top of the field shot, all I could I think was that this may not be good, the last shot was a hail mary on a running coyote. Well it turned out that the first shot was through some brush but the coyote had stopped and guy thought it was do or die. The shot took a chunk out of his shoulder and set him running full speed across the field where the other guy saw this, swung on it, and squeezed one off as soon as he saw fur in the scope. The first shooter heard the second shot hit with that beautiful "smack" sound but the coyote turned again and went into the timber, he was sure it was hit. Well we got up to track it and about 85 yards out I saw a swath of blood heading towards the timber, like this...
CoyoteWadeTim08001.jpg

It was about a 2' wide blood trail about 75 yards long heading toward the timber, not a hard tracking job. Right inside the timber we found him under a cedar dead as a door nail. Here are the two that did the tag team.
CoyoteWadeTim08002.jpg

It was a very nice male, good sized with a nice coat. The guy in the middle was the sniper with the running shot, I am on the right.
CoyoteWadeTim08007.jpg

We did a few more sets that day and nothing. All of us were very happy with a plan coming together. We wish we would have got more but that gives more reason to go again.
I thought I would just share the hunt, plus I love the snowy coyote pics.

Last edited:
BPS BLASTER-- That looks like some fairly tight quarters for calling, spotting, and then getting off your shots. You certainly had your "Tag" team set up right and did a fine job of calling. Thanks for the story and the photos. GOOD JOB!!!

Back