.270WSM vs. .300WSM

The 270 WSM will do anything and put down anything that you want to hunt. I have killed elk , including a large bull with a 150 gr. nosler and I am very satisfied. A bigger caliber isn't going to make any difference. It's all about shot placement. Heck I've even killed elk with a 52 gr. nosler out of my 22-250 and watched them fall with one shot.

Quote:
I doubt that you could tell any difference in recoil between the 300 win and the 300WSM. They shoot the same bullets at about the same velocity. I think the 300WSM uses a tiny bit less powder but not enough less to make a noticeable difference in recoil.

Jack

Might as well put my 2 cents worth in here. Recoil is relative to powder, bullet and rifle weight with a added benefit of a stiffer stock. Some of you might not be aware is IMR's new powder developed specifically for short mags. (imr4007ssc) The big advantage to this powder that it uses roughly 14% less powder to achieve the same velocity. Another advantage is that ssc stands for Super Short Cut which means that it will settle better giving you more case volume. I have found 4007 to give better accuracy in 3 different 300 WSM rifles. Three different users of these three different rifles said there was a big reduction in felt recoil.

I switched from a 7mm WSM to the 300 WSM because of the availability of heavier bullets that will buck the wind better at longer ranges.

300wsmGroup.jpg

Group shot with 180 gr SMK using IMR4007ssc at 3000 fps at 100 yards. These groups were typical using two different rifles with varying loads between 58-61 grains of powder.

Back