.270WSM vs. .300WSM

bigswedegml

Hey I was just wondering if a .300WSM is worth it for me over the .270WSM. My main purpose for it is deer and black bear. I do think I will try my luck at elk eventually also. Will the .270WSM be sufficient or should I bite the bullet and get the .300WSM so I will be prepared and ready for any game animal in North America I want to pursue?

I do own both..
i stil have the 300wsm.
the 270wsm is ideal for deer or black bear.
but if you consider Elk.
i'd say 300wsm... it will do everything with the +
just choose the right bullet and a good recoil pad, i put Limbsaver on mine...and it's sweet to shoot, powerful and versatile.
M2c

Not sure what you mean is it worth it? I think the 270WSM has the largest gain in the WSM's. The .270 is also plenty for deer and most bears or even elk. However I still prefer the .300. The guns will cost the same. With equal bullet weights I don't think you will know the difference in recoil. Factory ammo will be very close in price. The .300 WSM ammo may be more readily available. Not sure if I missed anything. Good Luck

Both guys pretty much covered it. I know plenty of guys who kill elk every year with a good ol' 270 Win. The 300 will due more meat damage to deer unless you go with a superior bonded bullet that won't open up a can of whooparse on them. The 270 WSM has over 200 fps gain, over 200 ft. lbs energy more and drops 3 inches less than the flat shooting 270 Win. I would jump at the 300 if you plan on having a do all gun for moose or larger bear, otherwise I take the 270WSM hands down. It's the only short mag that stands alone to it's counterpart. My 2 cents!

You might even split the two and go with the 7WSM. I shoot the 300 and really like it. I run 150gr Nosler Partions pretty hot in it for High Plains whitetails. I can reach out and touch them if I need too.

I have the 270 WSM and it covers just about anything you want to hunt in the lower 48. I like the 300 version but for all around use i believe the 270 is the best choice. It give you the best vel gain over the standard cals in a short action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I think for what I want the rifle for the .270WSM should do the job. I guess I should have added that I reload. I don't know if that would have swayed your opinions or not though.

Anyways thanks again.

My BIL will make you a sweet deal on a 'nearly new' .270 WSM Winchester rifle. Not sure of the model but PM me if you are interested.

I have a 300 WSM and a 7mm WSM. The 7mm is a Coyote stainless and is my go to big game gun. I think it does everything my 300 WSM does with less recoil. Mt 300 likes nothing but 180 grain pills and the 7mm will shoot lights out with 150 and especially 160 grain Nosler soild base bullets.

If I ever get a 270 it will be a WSM.

Quote:
will shoot lights out

Is that like: a tackdriver, MOA or minute of prairie dog? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Sam

After I put a Rifle Basix trigger on it set to 1.5lbs, I can get .75-.80" groups (3 shot) off the sand bags with factory ammo. Since this is not a BR gun, so I consider under 1" "lights out" especially when the targeted animal feels it.

If I were to have only one short mag I would go with the 7mm. Since you reload you will have better bullet choices.
I did that years ago when I was shooting a 270 Win. I wound up going to a 280 Rem. and haven't looked back. It gives me a good in between the 270 and 06. The way I have it loaded I am getting pretty close to 7mag velocities without the recoil. You could do it also with the 7WSM and run 140gr-150gr Partions pretty hot. Take on just about anything you want. You still have the capability to run heavier bullets if need be.

If I may intrude on this thread, I have been pondering the same issue lately: 270 WSM vs 300 WSM. My initial plan was for a 270 WSM for deer mainly, but also to take on elk hunts as a backup to my 7mm Rem Mag.

My question would be this: there seems to be some disparity of opinion ref how much the 300 WSM recoils. I have seen some say it's like a .30-06, while others say it is much more. I am not interested in getting hammered like a 300 Win Mag hammers you. At first blush, it almost looks like it is midway between an '06 and a 300 Winnie. Would you owners of a 300 WSM agree with that assessment, at least as per recoil? I'm not comparing effectiveness on game here, just comparing recoil.

If I wasn't worried about getting teeth jarred loose, I might be seduced into buying a 300 WSM for elk. But if the recoil is much like a 300 Winnie, then I'll stick with my 7mm Mag, and maybe go the 338 Federal or .338-06 route.

What say you?

P.S. Bod Addy, I got one of those .280's, too, in a Remington 7600. And I agree, it's a mighty fine caliber, very versatile!

Hmmmmm...looks kinda like this horse has already been beat on a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=2#52743016

Last edited:
The one thing that bothers me about the 7mm WSM is that only two gun manufactures chamber for them so far that I have found. Browning and Winchester are the only ones I could find. Does anybody know why that is? Im guessing it is a lack of popularity? I am wanting either a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless or a Remington SPS Stainless. Neither one chamber the 7mm WSM though.

Remington probably doesn't because they almost own the 7mm caliber, with the .280, 7mm-08, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm STW, 7mm SAUM, and 7mm Rem Ultra Mag. Why add the Winchester offering when you have six offerings of your own in that caliber as it is? Don't know why the others don't.
Logic doesn't always mean diddly squat when decisions are being made by management.

I doubt that you could tell any difference in recoil between the 300 win and the 300WSM. They shoot the same bullets at about the same velocity. I think the 300WSM uses a tiny bit less powder but not enough less to make a noticeable difference in recoil.

Jack

I mainly hunt elk/deer and the last 25 yrs I've been using 30cal mags with 165/180gr bullets so I added a 300WSM in 2003.

I always figured the 270WSM might be a good one to have hopefully pretty soon I should have a custom 270WSM and I plan on using it on deer/antelope maybe one elk hunt this year.

I started back in the mid 60's with a 7mag so I have more trigger time with the 300Wby,300mag and you get comfortable with those calibers. If I wasn't shooting a 280AI I might look at the 7WSM.

I solved the 270 vs 30-06 problem when out and got a 270 and 30-06. Well good luck

Quote:
I doubt that you could tell any difference in recoil between the 300 win and the 300WSM. They shoot the same bullets at about the same velocity. I think the 300WSM uses a tiny bit less powder but not enough less to make a noticeable difference in recoil.

This is true especially in the same gun. I have shot both in different guns where the WSM recoiled more. But I have identical rifles in .30-06 & .300WM and there is only a few pounds difference in recoil which is very manageable. Our previous rifles in .280 & .30-06 produced much more recoil. So in a different rifle weight and design the experience can be much different.

Back