Where to find good satellite maps

utahpredator_7

I hear all the time about using maps showing the terrain and cover (actual images) to find places to hunt. Where can you get these? My computer is kinda slow so I can't use Google Earth, anywhere else to get them?

google earth only shows certain area's.. if you get lucky and google earth shows your area that is not distorted then your lucky.. so your not at any big loss anyway..

Your local courthouse should have aerial photos available for copying. They might not be the best quality though.

Go to www.weather.com Enter zip code. Go to the bottom of the page you will see a map you can zoom in and out and go where you want then print. If you zoom in to much it will tell you. Grab the map with the hand and go anywhere you want.

Jim

While it is not internet or satellite, USGS maps are the best I've seen hands down including the red state gps maps you get at wal-mart. Those do show state and federal maps though so are handy in areas you aren't familiar with.

These can be expensive, but you get a good product. http://www.mytopo.com/

They aren't satelliteimages. These are aerial, topo, & hybrid, in several sizes and paper qualities.

They ship fast. I'm pleased with what I ordered from them.

I have a bunch of maps from mytopo.com and really like them. You can custom order and center the area you want, no more having two or three topos because a place falls right in the corner of the zones. Mytopo.com maps are printed on a water resistant and tear resistant paper, you can UTM grids, rolled or folded, ect. Just a really good product and I agree about the service, it is excellent as well.

Google Earth stinks for New England. All the satellite photos are at least 20 years old. The one that has my neighborhood in it is closer to 30-35 years old based on the houses shown. Also, they are all summer photos with full foliage. I need some winter photos that actually show the terrain.

Mapquest has nice sattelite photos to view. When you bring up a map in the right hand corner it gives you a choice between the map or the sattelite photo.

I have several MyTopo maps but they tend to be a little out of date. Google earth is current(2007) data and very useful for my area. I can find trails on google that don't show up on mytopo.

Quote:
Mapquest has nice sattelite photos to view. When you bring up a map in the right hand corner it gives you a choice between the map or the sattelite photo.

I'll second that. The quality is good enough and it's free.

Utah, I know said your computer is slow but Google Earth is extremely tough to beat! Courthouse aerials are a good bet

Flash earth has been best. Not bad on my computer and it includes maps from several different sources so you get the best ones for your area. Thanks!

Map quest is the best in my area and it's only a few years old. Google earth won't let me zoom in close enough to see anything it just gets blury.

Back