Which turkey call?

I've played ever one of the hammer calls I suppose they could call a turkey in most the time if the set-up was good but they don't compare to a good custom pot call. There are times good calling helps.

Quote:
Have to agree with Weasel. Wendell Rye of Lights Out calls makes a TOP NOTCH custom call. Will make it to your specks if you wish His service is impecable. And he covers his calls with a full garantee. His strikers are also amazing.

Utah, these guys are dead on! I won a call from Lightsout here on PM last summer. Wendell is a great guy. He made a call for me that makes the sounds I was looking for. He ran the call with about ten different strikers over the phone so I could choose which one I liked best. He built a cherry pot, slate over glass call with a bubinga striker. It is the best pot call I've ever heard, and I've heard a bunch. I'll agree with GC that Cody makes the best sounding production calls. Their prices are close to Lightsout but I would definitely give Lightsout the edge in sound quality. If you want, send me a PM with your phone number and I'll run the call for you over the phone. Wendell Rye would probably do the same thing. Can't wait to try mine out on a gobbler this spring. If you want a great box call, Albert Paul of Paul's Calls in Miss. made one for me 8 years ago. It has been the death of at least a half dozen gobblers since then.

if you aren't experienced then you can't beat a primos slate they are cheap and easy to use. Glass takes alittle more practice and are worthless on wet days

one thing i did notice after spending 12 hours a day for 3 days listening to turkey calls being played by everyone from starting hunters to very experienced turkey hunters, is that each person plays every call differently, I honestly like the hammer series and my cody glass.... i can play them both very well.... i personally tried some custom calls and they were also very good, I did find a few that I could not make work... atleast to my liking.... ... just my observation that even a fair quality call will work depending on the hands running it.

I think Hunter Specialities made the best sounding slate call i ever used,and i owned and used a bunch. This call was the H&S Strut-double slate over glass. They quit making this call about 8-10 years ago? There is a tone to these,unlike any other calls i have used,slate or glass. I have hunted turkeys for years,and used a lot of different turkey calls,makes/models,and killed turkeys,using many different kinds. None could bring in turkeys like this call. If you are lucky enought to find one of these,buy it. I own three of these and wouldn't trade one of them for the most expensive and 'proclaimed' best turkey calls made...This is my opinion about these calls,and i understand that someone elses may be different...Good luck with whatever you choose.

I went and bought a lohman mouth yelper, and it didn't sound very good at all. So I had spent my call money and basically wasted it and was broke until the end of the month. So I thought "what the heck" and took the diaphragm out of it. I put it in my mouth and actually got it sounding somewhat like a turkey. So I went and bought a primos diaphragm and had it sounding pretty darn good earlier. I can actually afford diaphragms.

Back