Good morning on 1/27/08

deaddogwalkin

Had been having a slow season of calling. Up until Sunday morning. Started out early am. Went to one of my bowhunting properties. Wind was to be out of the west southwest. Headed downd a overgrown fenceline. Setup over looking a big flat bottom with large field of setaside to the north and a big draw leading to large timber to the west of me. Set the JIB and Foxpro out to the NW of me about 75yds. It was just getting light enough to see and the turkeys were starting to wakeup. I gave out a couple of interogation howels on the fx3 and had an instant response from an old male and 3-4 more straight north of me about 1000yds away. I went to a female invetational for a couple of series and had another group answer from about a mile away on the river. Waited for acouple of min. and the went to a male challenge howl. After 25min and nothing I went to jackrabbit and played that for the remaining 10min off and on. And nothing. I think that the group caught my wind because as I checked it when I got up it was more out of the south then any other direction. I packed up and went down the road acouple of miles to some other ground that looks real good. I've called there different time over the last 2years but had no luck. But this place looks to good not to.
About 7:45 I crawl over the hill to get to an old windmill and set the JIB and FX3 off to the SW of me at about 75yds. Crawl back to the windmill and get set up. I'm facing south with a southwest wind and overlooking a brushy draw about 100yds wind which dumps into a massive treefarm and creel to my east. I start off with female inter. Howl the switch to female invite. Wait a couple of min. And a crow is flying overhead and I switch to jackrabbit. I'm not joking now. With in 2min I saw stuff running all over and when it finally registered what they were I had 3yotes standing 5ft away from the JIB and 3more fast approaching. I swung the RRA over and dropped the one closest to the JIB. And this is when it got fun. It looked like a covey of quail flushing there were yotes running everywhere. I picked one out going sw to the draw and swatted him on my second shot and then tried to find another one. I was just finding one in the scope when I saw a blurr out of my other eye and it was one running right past me at about 20yds. Swung over to it and shot twice at it and missed. The last one that I saw was running across the hillside back to the timber at about 700yds. It stopped for just a second but didn't have enough time to get the scope on it. When all the dust settled I looked at the watch. 5min went by on stand. All of the drystands were well worth it for those 5min. Sorry no pics. Left my camera in the work truck and cell phone was in the tahoe. What a great morning. Thankfully I had the RRA. Thank you Dan Carey for the great shooting gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Awesome story. When you have that many dogs running aroubd it does get fun. Congrats on the double.

That is a great advantage of the AR's very quick follow up shots. Good work.

Back