AR-15 primer dent

IABounterHunter

I noticed a good dent on my primer just from loading it in the chamber and some guys said it was't good, the guy I bought it from said to call DPMS so I did and they said that any AR type weapon will leave a dent, it may vary in size but with no spring or any thing it will do that, he said that it has been tested and a AR type will have to fall 11 stories and land straight on the barrel to get enough force to even come close to igniting the primer. Just thought all you guys would like to know what I found out

Military primers are harder than civilian ones and it has been known to happen and get a slam fire with civilian ammo when loading the AR style rifles.

Like all firearms, keep them pointed in a same direction, preferably at the ground in front of you so you know here the bullet will end up.

By the way, I've only shot civilian ammo...more than 10,000 rounds and have never got a slam fire when loading the rifle in over 6 differrent weapons....many a primer dimple found when unloading.

With a floating firing pin your going to get that dent. Don't worry about it. But as with any weapon, keep the muzzle in a safe direction at all times and it won't be an issue...

JEV

We had a new officer at our jail some time ago that put a clip into an AR, he then proceded to place the AR in an up-right position in the wall tower gun rack. The AR slipped out of his had fell to the floor striking the recoil pad. It was enough force to jar the bolt back, strip a live round from the mag (we don't keep a round in the chamber) on it's way back closeing. Then the free floating fireing pin had traveled upward strikeing the primer just hard enough to set off the round. The state internal investigators had locked him out of the jail for about 3 months saying that never could have happened and it would be a one in a million chance. Well they took the gun to test it by droping from the same height as it was said to have been droped from and it did the excatly the same thing for them. They tried it several more times but it never did it again. The officer was returned to work w/no questions asked. #1 rule with firearms is always keep the muzzle in a safe direction, as stated already.

I've noticed this with mine, haven'thad any slam fires. I also posted this last year and everyone said to not worry about it. It still concerns me some. I just lookat the primers to see if it's getting worse.

Quote:
I've noticed this with mine, haven'thad any slam fires. I also posted this last year and everyone said to not worry about it. It still concerns me some. I just lookat the primers to see if it's getting worse.

This is one thing that Dtech explained to me since I bought my first AR from that there is some potential for the rifle to have a slam fire. It is not often but it can happen.

Quote:
We had a new officer at our jail some time ago that put a clip into an AR, he then proceded to place the AR in an up-right position in the wall tower gun rack. The AR slipped out of his had fell to the floor striking the recoil pad. It was enough force to jar the bolt back, strip a live round from the mag (we don't keep a round in the chamber) on it's way back closeing. Then the free floating fireing pin had traveled upward strikeing the primer just hard enough to set off the round. The state internal investigators had locked him out of the jail for about 3 months saying that never could have happened and it would be a one in a million chance. Well they took the gun to test it by droping from the same height as it was said to have been droped from and it did the excatly the same thing for them. They tried it several more times but it never did it again. The officer was returned to work w/no questions asked. #1 rule with firearms is always keep the muzzle in a safe direction, as stated already.

One in a million chance? I would have to say that what you describe is almost impossible, one in ten million maybe. While a slam fire is possible, 99% of the time it's caused by the ammo rather than the rifle.

A standard precaution around PD's is to have a bucket of sand or something else to aim the weapon into when chambering a round, usually in their pistols, this is just good common horse sense, chambering a live round can be dangerous, so always pay attention to where the weapon is pointed when you chamber a live round in any weapon, not just AR's.

Back