Saturday was A Great Day

Grampas Shop

Went out Sat. morning to try and call in a bobcat. No luck. Went home & turned some more calls.

Along about 4:00, I decided to go out and try for a coyote. I decided to use the Johnny Stewart PM-4 electronic call that I got in early Dec. I have never had any luck using an electronic call. I get to the first spot and set the call & clipped my bird feather decoy to a weed about 40 yds in front of me. I push the button for cottontail distress & nothing. I then tried another card & nothing. Was getting frantic about this time as the 3rd card had the bobcat calls on it. I thought what the heck & pushed the button for Squealing Bird and darn if it didn't work. So after letting it play for little bit I turn the sound off and was reaching in my coat pocket for my hand calls. Had 2 lanyards (1 w/1 call 1 w/2 calls) and dang if the lanyards werent knotted up. I was trying to untangle the mess when I look up and here is a coyote about 18 yds in front of me. He turned and didn't run, just kind of walked off over the top of a hill that I couldn't see, but could see everything after about 50 yds. I pushed the button on the caller for rodent sqeeks hoping to get the coyote to come back to the call. I see something in the sage brush that didnt look right so I gently swung the rifle around toward it and shot the coyote at about 40 yards with the new 223. This was the same coyote that had came in earlier.

IMGP0286.JPG

By now it is about 5:15 and I had time for one more stand. I really screwed up on this one, as I put the decoy feather and call behind me and then only place I had to hide was a low spot in some feed. After the first bird squeal, a coyote came out of the fence row on a dead run right by me (less than 5 yds) and to the call & decoy. There was know way I could get a shot off. About this time another coyote came out of the fence row and got into the milo stubble. He hit an opening and I whistled. Shot him at 45 yds. I then stood up to see if I could see the first one in the milo stubble. He was heading out of dodge. I then see a 3rd one, or should say the head at about 250 yds. I took a standing shot & missed him.

http://photos.imageevent.com/gampas_shop/bobcoy/websize/IMGP0287.JPG

What a day, I was so pumped. Also bloodied the new Ruger Hawkeye in 223 using 50 gr. soft points, no exits on either of these.

Great job on the recovery!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Thanks for sharing!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nice story I have had poor luck getting them to come back after they have left. But it seems like he liked hte PM4.

Yes it is a Hawkeye. I have both a 22-250 & 220 Swift in the Ruger Varmit/Target models, but I am getting to old to pack that much extra weight around. Got this one in 223 just to be different. I am thinking so far it will be a shooter, but all shots have been with factory fodder. Was really surprised that shooting into chest cavity from head on the bullets didn't exit.

I was really surprised with the PM-4. Course using a bird squeal and having feathers for a decoy was probably something these dogs had never seen or heard before. I know there are several people calling in the same areas I was in.

Back