Called in a Wolf today

rogue_bow

I called in a nice black and gray colored wolf today on the Nushagak River for a buddy!!! I spotted him coming across the ice at about 3/4 of mile while I was working a psycho tweety. He came in down wind to a lasered 450 yards and decided he smelt something he didn't like. He turned to leave and let out a howl. He froze and looked back over his right shoulder. My native budy pulled up his .243 and head shot him DRT. It was the first time any of the natives saw a wolf called in and they were rolling high fives. I will get some pics on here as soon as I can figure out how to put them in the photo bucket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Where were you at on the Nush? I have guided there for nine years during the salmon season and into late September. I saw a lot of wolves in the '06 summer, but not too many for '07. There was a hunting camp to the North of my camp that tried to call them in three times while I was around, but only called in bears.

I never had anyone out at camp with me in the evenings, so I never felt very safe going out and calling on my own. I tried once while anchored up outside of a slough, but no dice.

I'm in New Stuyahok about 67 air miles up the Nush from DLG. Who do you guide for? I guided for Western Alaska Sport Fishing at the head waters of the Nushagak "Big Bend" and the upper King Salmon off main channel. There are loads of wolves around close right now they will move east to follow the caribou migration over by Illiamna.

Thats awesome! I'd be packing him into the taxidermist. Have him to do a little a nip-tuck! Can't wait to see the pics!

Rogue Bow,
It is a small world . . . I may have met you a few years ago when I was working for Mission Lodge. You guys needed an extra guide and I came over for a week and did the upper camp. I am pretty sure that happened in '03.

We also had a girl from New Stu work in our kitchen for awhile at the lodge. All I remember was her name was Patti and she played basketball for the high school.

Nice I have only been up here for the past two years so I wasn't up here in '03. Do you still guide up here? I am originally from SW Oregon what about you?
I have become a designated caller this winter not just calling and shooting with a camera. Most of the natives at this village have never seen a predator of any sort called in so it is a real kick to do it for them.

Quote:
thats awesome! too bad he shot him in the head. that would have been a good skull to boil.

Yep, definitely would have been a nice skull, but I got to say, I think I'd be just as happy to be able to say I made that head shot @ 450 yds...good grief /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif.

pictures...pictures...pictures.. pictures... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif on the head shot...WOW 450yds thats a loooooooooooooong shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Wow, I'm glad you weren't there in '03. My first day in camp one of the guides went out and poached a caribou, hiked *some* meat out, went back to get the rack the next day, claimed the rest of the meat was spoiled, then radioed in to buy his tag. That kind of put me in a sticky situation. I was the low guy on the totem pole for a week, so I had to put up with a lot of snit. It was also there last week before shutting down, so nobody was really in the best of moods.

However, I did have a blast guiding and fishing up there. I could literally write a book about my one week at that camp. I even ended up with a double hernia while I was there, but that's a story for another time.

To sum up my experience there, as I loaded my gear into Rick G.'s plane to take off I said to Rick, "How fast can you get out of here?" to which he replied, "You done with these jokers, too?"

Last year was year nine for me in the guiding show. I'm off this summer, going to grad school to become a teacher (coincidence?).

Somebody better get those pics up Pronto. Between Hotdog and Wease Someones gonna lose it if the pics arent up asap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Did you know Rick died the next winter in a plane crash huntin yotes in Wyoming? Dave Egdorf the original owner had to take the business back from Ricks wife, what a mess eh? I don't know if you got to meet the head guide Kris Kennedy it was a great bunch of guys up there the past couple of years and I am sure it will continue to only get better now that Wilderness and Main Camp are back under Dave's control. It is some real sick fishing up there. Not to many places left in the world were you can catch an honest 30 incher on the fly with 26-28inch fish being a common daily catch. You should send me a PM and I will shoot you back my email with some great pics from 06' & 07'... I got the wolf pics on my computer tonight and will try and post them as soon as I can tonight!!!!!!!! I some pics of it now that it is off the stretcher to that I will post tonight as well!!! It stretched close 7.6'. Not the biggest I have seen but respectable for sure. The skull ended up being in tacked, the bullet ended up smashing the last vertebrae and exiting out the left lower jaw. So technically not a true head shot but close enough for me at 450 yards. I don't think I would have made it? These Eskimos know how to shoot tuff!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can not seem to get the photo to appear in the post. I have tried but I am using a Macbook so I do not have a right click as some have pointed out in their instructions. So any help would be great!

Last edited:
I think I finally got it figured out!!!
wolf1.jpg

wolf2.jpg

wolf3.jpg

The blood is from the sled ride back... just some bloody snow.

Back