2nd Yote Down (long, pics)

predatorkiller

On Friday January 18 after school I loaded all my gear and headed back to my hometown in Kansas. I got back late that night and my friends and I stayed up til 3:15 in the morning,but that didn't stop us from getting up at 5:20 and heading out. My friend Zack had a wrestling tournament so my friend Charles and I went out to some of his ground and we were in the stand before first light. I called on my crit r calls for awhile and I soon determined that no coyotes in the area were hungry enough to come in. We walked back to the pickup and headed into town. We just watched the wrestling the rest of the day and never got back out to hunt.
The next morning Dustin, Zack, and me were heading out to some land where I know there is a yote. I parked the truck and walked across a corn stuble for about 400 yards and then we droppe down into a pasture draw. While walking in the draw I see a coyote running out the other side away from us. Zack was going to take the 400+ yard shot, but I told him not to because I had faith there was another within calling distance and the wind was blowing pretty good. Dustin and I sat up facing south and Zack sat up about 50 yards to my right facing north west. I had my 25-06, Dustin had the 12 gauge, and Zack had his 204.
I started off with some distress out of the pee wee crit r call. 20 seconds later I see a yote coming hard at 200 yards. I shouldered my gun and at 150 yards Dustin finally sees it and tries to whisper to me, but the coyote hears him and slams on the brakes. It was too late and the 25-06 rang out. I hit him in the spine and it exited out his back left side. He never even kicked.
Since it was so early in the stand I started to kiyi. Zack motioned to me that another was coming in from the north. I started to do some distress and after 10 minutes Zack never saw the coyote again so we think it snuck out to the east.
My camera was back in town so we didn't take pics until we were back at the house. On the way into town we called one more stand but a big male hung about 700 hundred yards away in an open stuble and wouldn't come in. The coyote had ok fur and weighed around 32 pounds.The first is Dustin with it, then Zack, and the last one is me. My first coyote called and shot was October 28. I have called over twenty to thirty others in and have not connected and I will leave it at that lol. I am glad number 2 has finally fallen.

Dustin.jpg

Rudaandyote.jpg

number21-20-08.jpg

predatorkiller,
Very it is good to see you finally connect on the second one. You have been waiting awhile for this one. Give me a call we still need to get out and get some dogs. Just think of how many you would have had you not missed the other 20-30? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks everyone. One question I do have is why was my entrance hole about the size of a tennis ball and the exit was tiny? It is backwards to me.

Back