Had time for one stand last night

204destroyer

I took a buddy hunting last night that has never shot a bobcat. I have been saving one of my places that had quite a bit of cat sign just for him.

Well, he had a chance to go hunting last night so we went out for a chance at a cat. I set up above a stock tank that is at the bottom a draw. The stock tank butts up to salt cedars which is then surrounded by pasture. It is pretty ideal for cats. About 1/4 mile away is an old abandoned rock quarry with huge boulders and two stock tanks as well. I had scouted the area earlier in the afternoon and saw fresh sign, so I had a pretty good feeling about this stand.

As we finally get set up, I turned on my Foxpro with lightining jack and it was 5 minutes later I see a set of eyes coming to us. As it creeped along I could tell it was a cat. It came to about 100 yards but locked up in some heavy brush. It did not move for 10 minutes, you could see his eyes every so often, but he just stayed locked up. Then all of a sudden he turned and headed out the way he came. Needless to say, my buddy was heartbroken.

I continued to call for maybe five minutes and all of sudden from nowhere a cat appears 35 yards from my pickup! I tapped my buddy on the shoulder and he turned the chair to see the cat in full view. He made a clean shot right through the chest and there lied his first cat! We did not weigh the cat, but it was a good sized female. Calling predators is always exciting, but when you can take someone and get them their first animal, it seems to be more exciting because I feel pressured to give him an opportunity at taking an animal.

Sorry for the long post.

Here are a few pics:

Here is David with his first Cat!
IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

Here I am with the cat
IMG_3993.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Back