Female Coyote estrus chirps?

SalemDawger

I read the article in the current issue of Predator Hunter about estrus chips. The question is has anyone ever herd them, used them, or know where you can find them online? Foxpro does not have them. It sounded interesting?

Only place I've heard it was on one of Randy Anderson's dvd's (I think it's was Mastering the Art). He explains how to make the sound w/ an open reed and has some actual footage of a female chirping.

I read the same article and bought a Lohman Circe call that came with a DVD telling how to do them. The call is crap but I think one could replicate the sounds with about any open reed howler.

Randy Anderson's Mastering the art Video. Great advice and sounds. The video is made By Primos. If you want to know about any coyote vocalization this video is IT!

I believe that "estrus chirp" is an overused term. It's a term that has been used amongst Pandas and Cheetahs for a long time. I feel that the sound is more of a female wimper..something submissive and excited. I've heard a ton of it during my years of breeding greyhounds. I too saw it on the Randy Anderson video and that's the first thing it reminded me of.

I've used it a few times with good results. Producing both male and females. Not sure if it mimicked a breeding scenario or more of a pecking order tussle. All I know is that they came charging in after being hung up.

Here is an example...not a good one...but a sample. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Estrus Chirp on Silver Creek Howler

Tony

Quote:

I believe that "estrus chirp" is an overused term. It's a term that has been used amongst Pandas and Cheetahs for a long time. I feel that the sound is more of a female wimper..something submissive and excited. I've heard a ton of it during my years of breeding greyhounds. I too saw it on the Randy Anderson video and that's the first thing it reminded me of.

I've used it a few times with good results. Producing both male and females. Not sure if it mimicked a breeding scenario or more of a pecking order tussle. All I know is that they came charging in after being hung up.

That's about my take on it too.

I would warn you to listen very carefully to the Randy Anderson sounds before buying them.I didnt listen close enough and bought 15 of them,installed on my FX3. I'm not dissen Randy,I own every video he's made and I've learned alot.I believe they were recorded in someones garage. Most of them have a bad echo and just dont sound right when played. At one time, a couple of years ago, Foxpro offered then on their website.I notice they no longer offer them. Can't say as I blame them. I originally thought it would be like having Randy sitting there calling for me, boy was I wrong. Having said all that, one of the few sounds I got that sounds real was the female whimper. OMG I have had both males and females coming full bore not paying attention to wind etc. Not just once but several times. I guess I would gladly pay the price of the package just to get that single sound. I recently upgraded the FX3 to an FX5 and left the Randy Anderson sounds on there and am still using the female whimper, Ive killed 3 this past week using it. I think they may still be available at Lock,Stock and Barrel.

I do a ton of huntin and some guideing for coyote and cat in Northern Michigan and would love to add this sound into my vocabulary. I have used many open reed howls and can make none of them sound like as advertised, I now use a duck call with the top barrel throwed away. I along with a good many yotes think it sound pretty good. Does every body agree that Randy Andersons mastering the art is the best choice for learnin coyote language if so I will get me a copy, always lookin for a excuse to watch that Nabraska boy kill them coyotes.

I copied this sound from the mini cd that came with the hot dog or I copied it from the dvd that it was on. I played the part on the computer and captured it. I put it on the foxpro. I used it yesterday and called in 4 coyotes. I called a pair in around 10:30 and the other about 11:30 in the morning. It was warm here in kansas yesterday and I am hunting on public land. I started with rodent distress for about 2 minutes, then went to a female invatation howl then estrus chirps for about 4 minutes. I then went to woodpecker distess. The first pair came in about 10 minutes into the stand and the 2nd pair in about 8 minutes. I think this sound is what brought them in. I have seen hardly any coyotes in these places all year. It could of been the fact I was calling at an odd time of the day. I set up next to crp where I thought they would be bedded down at that time of day and the 40+ degree temp. I dont know I have just been trying different things, because I haven't had any luck this year until yesterday. Hope this helped.

Any thig I can learn helps, but I seem to be a slow learner least thats what my dad says and i am 33. I thik my howls sound very well but I dont know what to say to them or when to say it. Can ya give me some pointers and explain the sequence to a female invatation. Thanks slow learner guy, and these coyotes east of the big river are not helping my learning disability.

All the howls I use are on the foxpro. I can howl and have had responses, but the more I learn about howls and coyote communications I rather use real sounds. Western rivers has alot of free sounds that you can download and use. I would recommend listening to the sound instead of me trying to explain it.

I developed the Circe She Howler. It is available from all calls.com.

Wish I new how to post a sound bite. My version is much deeper and demanding than Mr., Tebbes.

Quote:
I developed the Circe She Howler. It is available from all calls.com.

Wish I new how to post a sound bite. My version is much deeper and demanding than Mr., Tebbes.

Here ya go Ronnie.

Click here for Ronnie's chirp.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

- DAA

Thanks Dave for remembering how techno challenged I am.

This sound is not the little foreplay wins and yips you here when the male and female are together. This sound is made when no male is around and a [beeep] is demanding to be bread.

CaptJim. I am truly sorry that you have that opinion about the call. Yes it can be made on any howler, but I spent many hours developing a call that a beginner could use with minimum instruction. I did not make a dime off this call because I was under contract when I developed it.

would a female invatation and then a few minutes later start the chirping be a good sequence and if so what kind of time sequence do you guys recomend for the chirp.

Ronnie, I am a beginner but I just found the call much harder to use than the other calls that I have purchased whether production or custom. In retrospect I shouldn't have said that the call is "crap" and next time I will choose my words more carefully. It was easy to replicate the "estrous chirps" on the call but difficult for ME to make other sounds with it. I found that the call required a lot of air pressure which sometimes resulted in bad notes. My calling ability or lack thereof probably has a lot to do with it and someone else may love the call. I didn't mean to offend you and I apologize if I did but the call just didn't work for me. On the other hand, the video that came with it was very informative and I learned a lot from it and your instruction. Thanks ,Jim

Jim. No offence taken. I have been calling since 1959. I have know idea just how many calls I have. I hear great things about a call and I just have to have one more.

Many times what was another mans diamond turned out to be a chunk of coal for me.

I have a strong feeling you're reed was not set up right at the factory. PM me you're address and I will put one together for you I promise you will like.

Ronnie

Back