A SoCal Day In AZ

jimanaz

I went out today with my usual calling partner (my nephew, John) and made 16 stands. It started out as just another ordinary day but finished with a flurry. We started out in an area where we had been doing OK and then moved to someplace new. Here's how it played out:

Our first 2 stands had no takers but lots of answers to our howling. I turned the FX5 over to John today and there was a little break-in period. It's been a while since he ran the call and this was his first time with the upgraded remote, so it took a while for them to really mesh. I told him I wanted to incorporate more howling....and he did waaaay more howling. He spent more time talking to the coyotes than enticing them. It was good to know they were in the neighborhood. I almost took the remote back after the second stand but figured I'd ride it out. After a little critiquing and some practice, things got better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

On our third stand a coyote came sneaking along the wash while I was looking through my binoculars toward the chorus of howlers we had a 1/4 mile out. We missed this one a total of 7 times between us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Next stand a small female managed to sneak in on us and show up just beyond the call at 18 minutes. We both saw her about the same time. John muted the call, I lip squeaked her, and he shot her. Whew, we're getting better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

On the next stand another sneaker came up on my side and stopped twice at about 50 yards. Both times were 2 steps short of where I needed it to be to get a shot. On the second stop, John changed sounds and it turned around and left. Musta been one of those picky coyotes.

3 more empty stands and we moved to a new area. Wish we would have spent the whole day there.

First stand, 2 minutes in, John levels a nice male right at the decoy.

Next stand, 8 minutes in, (this is for you Ken) the 12 guage barks and I put a nice female in the dirt at 33 yards.

Next stand, nada.

Next stand about 3 mintue in the call goes silent. I thought John muted it and had some action on his side. I'm peering out of the corner of my eye over toward his side when I hear the thundering paw-beats of a very nice sized coyote bearing straight down on me. I swing the shotgun on it, preparing to give it a face full, and it makes a Devon Hester like move and gets behind some brush. I follow it and send some lead downrange. The only thing that fell were some creosote branches. The thundering paw-beats faded into the distance. Turns out I forgot to charge the batteries in the Foxpro last night and it died right at the moment of truth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Next stand, nada.

Next stand finds me blowing the long range Tweety. 2 singles showed up but wouldn't cooperate and will have stories to tell their children.

Final 2 stands empty.

If I recalled and told everything correctly (and even if I didn't), we called in 9 coyotes today. Pretty sad that we only had 3 in the pile at the end of the day, but at least we didn't get bored. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most popular sounds of the day were lightning jack and a variety of cottontail sounds.

Man, what an ugly picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

IMG_0500.jpg

Quote:
Nice story and pics. Looks like some good sized coyotes.

Good hunting

Yeah that one on the right has a huge head

When I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping to see a pic of a Trojan on the end of Sparky's pitch fork. Good day there! ! ! Like Fester said, that one has a huge head.

Go Devils.

Just awesome Jim, story does sound familiar, results too!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Those dogs look real nice... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Glad to hear someone still using a shotgun to bring some down... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When you say sneaking in, was that after you had been howling?????

Great story and photos...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Way to go and great write up. I love days like that where it seems there is always something happening. Congrats to you and your nephew.

Jim, you and John are getting to be quite a lethal team. It's nice to hunt with someone who knows whats going on and knows your next move.

Jim- you have a PM.

Great story and Congratulations!

As mentioned above, your Coyotes do look quite large, especially for Arizona. Did you weigh them?

Keep up the good work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good write up and sounds like a fun day. Dig the trick photography! I know them AZ coyotes hardly get over 20 lbs. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Congratulations! Great story and picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks for the comments guys. We had a blast. We were smiling and giggling like little girls on the way back to the truck after nearly every stand. That sure beats the standard "Boy, sure expected something to come in on that one" comment.

Ken, yeah, those first few came after we had been howling and they came slow and cautiously just like you'd expect them to. We had a big, fairly open sage flat in front of us and they still managed to get right on top of us before we spotted them. The 1 we missed 7 times snuck through the tall grass probably 20 yards in front of me while I was looking over the top of him. I never saw him until John shot the first time. He kept wondering why I didn't shoot him as he watched him cross in front of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Scott you're right, John and I are real comfortable calling together. That's a definite asset.

MAUMAU, the only way I ever weigh coyotes is by throwing them in the back of the truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The 1 on the right was probably 35# or so. The center, probably a little over 20#, pretty small. Scales are for fish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lance, did you have to ruin it for everybody? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif It was unintentional, but pretty effective. I was waiting for somebody to start screaming photoshop, photoshop! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The impending storm probably did play a part, but the second area we hunted apparently holds plenty of coyotes and from what we could tell, gets little pressure.

Hi Jim!
Looks like a real good & long day. Lots of sets works good here in az. My last one came about noon time after meany
morning sets,You did good man.
Joe

LMAO Rich!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know you like to hunt where coyotes are, so naturally it would be one of your favorites. Will you call a few stands for us? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Really awesome Jim. Congratulations on a fine day. 16 stands is a bunch but it looks like things really paid off for you both.

Congrats again and keep em' coming.

Don't you just love the internet......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back