Barnes tsx's on coyotes?

diehardhunter

Is anyone using a 53 grain barnes triple shock on coyotes. I was thinking about loading some up at about 2800 fps. What do you guys think this would do to a pelt? I was thinking it would be a .224 and a dime size exit no matter what you hit. I will be using in my .223 calling gun and all shots will be under 150 yards and well placed.

Thanks a ton,

Die Hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Diehard, I have been having trouble with big holes in yotes with V-Max, 55's. I have had great results on yotes with my 25-06 and 100gr TSX's. I want to reload TSX's but just found that Cor-Bon Ammo in the Midway catalog has factory loaded 53gr. TSX for a .223. I'm going to order some and try them before I load my own.

Yeah, they'd be great would be my guess. I'm using 75 gr. x bullets out of my 25 wssm when I get them loaded. Barnes has a video on their site of a tsx fully expanded after going through only 2" of ballistic gel, so it should be bang-flop too. good luck!

Diehard, Also, I shot two bobcats with the TSX in my 25-06 and the exit and entrance where almost the same size. I also shot a Blacktail buck last year through the shoulders with the same ammo. Enternal damage was extensive. Exit hole was hard to find. Im hoping for the same results in this .223. Good luck

I shoot the 45gr XLC in my Hornet at about 2900fps. Works very well. On broadside shots it leaves a small exit and on head-on shots I don't get exits.

I think you'll be happy with the results.

it being a controlled expansion, i wouldn't think it would mess them up too bad. i would love to try them in my 243 but i just can't bring myself to pay that much when the hornadys are doing good. keep us updated on how it goes!

I am going to have to come up with something, due to the fact that our idiots in Commiefornia government wanted to save some buzzards. Since I live in the "NO LEAD ZONE", as of 7/1/08, I cant use any lead shot at all. I thought about getting the 53 gr TSX's and load some up, but if the "store bought" stuff is close in price, might as well have them do it.

There is always a premium on factory ammo loaded with barnes bullets. The Corbon stuff is nearly $30 a box of 20. Almost double the price of Hornady V-Max. Hand loading is always cheaper. I usually shoot just enough factory ammo to see if my gun will like the bullet, then I start on my own loads. But even if I dont load my own, it's still worth it to me to spend the extra $1 a round if it makes the difference between wasting a pelt or keeping a good one with minimal damage.

Back