-43 below and all's well!

mikegranger

Yep, you read it right. Me and Bubba went hunting yesterday with it being -23 below and a 9 mph wind which according to the wind chill charts, puts us out there searching for coyotes at -43 below zero wind chill.

Thank God for the sun is all I can say! How cold is -43 wind chill. Well, Bubba had ice all around his mouth, I was layered up enough to look like the Michelan man and triggers freeze up. I carry a Kestrel weather anenomitor but it wouldn't stay on because the batteries were too darn cold!

IMG_1243.jpg

How did we do? On the first stand it was so cold I couldn't force myself to put the binoculars up to my face. I called and called but nothing came in. Was about to get up and leave but figured no matter how cold the binocs were, I had to glass the area. Sure enough, there was a coyote just sitting there looking at us 600 yards away. It wouldn't come but luckily for me and Bubba all we had to do was scoot down the hill just a bit and we were out of sight. A quick 400 yard sprint and I was crawling up on a hill looking at a coyote that was looking at Bubba. The coyote just sat there while I got ready to shoot. At the shot my trusty hound was off to the kill.

The camera wouldn't work so no "dead coyote" picture.

Later in the morning a mangy coyote came running over a small rise and right into our laps. Since the fur was of no value, I let him and Bubba play cat and mouse a few times. Bubba would run out to the coyote, bring him back, turn around and bark at me then bark at the coyote and chase it off until the coyote turned to face Bubba. They did this three times then the coyote circled down wind and was off. The look of disgust was obvious when Bubba turned back around, barked at me again then took off after the coyote one more time. I just had to laugh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

IMG_1254.jpg

What a Hound!

A tough hunt for sure. This was the coldest day I've ever hunted coyotes and as I've experienced in the past, coyotes would rather stay balled up than move around in bitter cold.

IMG_1268.jpg

Wow Mike, you are a better man than I. When it gets this cold I'm the one that balls up & sits in front of the computer!

I can't begin to imagine how cold that must be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Great pictures.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Remember you don't have to dress like that in Globe, but no camo shorts either............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One word....dedication....or maybe insanity.

When it gets below 20 I freeze my arse off. Can't even comprehend that kind of cold.

Great pics.

Mike,

First off let me say you are tougher than me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif. Second looks like your wearing flight gloves? Please tell me you have something underneath. Those gloves are not warm at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I was flying in october and it was around 55 and my hands were frozen. You must have great circulation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd have more clothes on than you did. I remember -40 with no wind and it was difficult. Trucks freezing in the streets. 5minutes outside meant 10 minutes by the stove. No thanks I'm whining about 5 here now.

Mike,

It's interesting that you again found the coyotes to be unresponsive during the cold. You've said that in the past and I've disagreed with you then too. Maybe it's a montana thing?

It's been in the same temp range here in Minnesota for the past week. Go into the Great White North Forum and read some of the posts there. Guys are having some of the best luck of the year!

I'm going to have to disagree with you again. We have some of our best luck when that temp goes below -20.

Randy

Mike, very nice post and some cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif GENE'O

1) it takes a real man to hunt in that kinda weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
2) it takes a even better dog to stick it out with you
3) those are some great pics!

so how do you teach the dog to 'help you out'?

Just be careful out there at that temp. It may be time of year or the sub-zero temps here...but this has been one of our slowest months here. Hoping it'll turn back on.

Awesome pics!

Tony

My hunting buddy and I hunted all night it was -38 below for part of the night actual temp. At times a slight breeze was blowing. We could get coyotes to howl, but no chargers for what ever reason. Had quite an audience at times called around 16 stands. I was wondering if the cold had something to do with their lack of responding further.
I'll never think again about it being to cold to hunt say a balmy -5 to 0 again.

I have noticed the same thing seems like at -15 or more below the coyotes here just don't jump up and come roaring in. It was -24 below with no wind here yesterday also. -32 below where I keep my horses.

A few days ago it was -8 here and with the wind, about -20. I stayed home by the fire. Mike, you are either one tough guy or just plain crazy? Or just crazy tough guy? I admire your perserverance and even more so for Bubba, definitely a one of a kind pooch.

Back