win model 70 varmint???

skeetlee

what can someone tell me about the winchester model 70 heavy barrel 22-250. the rifle was made in 1986. walnut stock heavy blued barrel. i found one new in box for 700. is that a good buy or not? how well should this gun shoot? thanks lee

Lee they shoot as well as any of the heavy barrel varmint rifles. That price seems a little high for a post 64 Winchester model 70 to me. Some of the price hype from Winchester discontinuing production seems to be forcing the prices up but don't fall for it.

You might check some of the auction sites for simular rifles to give you an idea of current pricing.

that what i was thinking. the model of the rifle is winchester sporter varmint. i see them listed from 550 to 895. thanks anyone else with some info on this rifle? lee

skeetlee,
Got an 86 vintage M-70 Sporter Varmint in .223. Beautiful wood, and a shooter. I retired it this year due to the fact I wanted an AR, and also due to the same reason that call-m-all references.

It would shoot 1" groups most all day long with my handloads--I know, not sub-moa groups, but good enough for minute of coyote!

I would not hesitate to get another one!

Regards,
Tim

That rifle retailed for about $400 new.

I have one in 22-250, .223, and .308.
They are awesome rifles and were made when Winchester was still putting nice wood on their rifles. Mine all shoot sub-MOA as well.

$700 seems steep for a push-feed sporter and is no doubt priced to exploit the Winchester closing.

They are definitely nice rifles though, although I prefer the newer "Heavy Varmint" models with the HS stock and stainless barrels. I paid $600 for both of mine new and was recently offered $1000 for the .243

So maybe the price isn't so far out of line.

I have two model 70's they are not pre 64, I think they were made in the early 90s one is a heavy varmit/kvlr/ss in .243, and the other is a xtr sporter mag in in 300win mag, I was at Gander mnt the other day and they still had a few of the mod 70's sitting around however they seem like they are a bit on the "Cheep" side now, the wood was not that nice poor bluing, the actions feel like there is lots of slop in them, etc, Is it that Winchester didn't care at the time the doors closed? It sure seems like the quality control went down the tubes in the end, If eather one of my 70's felt like the "new" ones did the other day, I would do what my buddie did, buy a new rem700 ,I looked on Gunbroker and they have a few new mod 70's in verious forms, how are you supposed to know it you have a good one one or a bad one? or am I just blowing smoke up my own butt?

P/S both my rifles were right around the 600$ mark new many moons ago and both shoot well.

Back