Snowshoes necessity or necessary evil?

I finally got out with them for awhile. I was breaking through the crust at times, but would have been much worse without them. I'm going to do the hockey tape thing for noise, and I bet that closing up some holes may also help with floatation.

Kinda on the same subject, Bindings. I have a pair of the white military shoes and need to get bindings for them. What do you guys advise? I would like something that is easy to get on and off of course. Thanks for your help!

I've got a couple pairs of the white white military shoes (indestructible by the way). I like the rubber bindings you slip your boot through and pull the tongue shaped thingy back over the rear of your heel which can be done with gloves on and they stay flexible enough even in extreme cold.

I was working in Newfoundland a few years ago, spotted a guy at one of the malls selling snowshoes that he makes, I think they go under the name 'Miricle Snowshoes'bearpaw desighn, picked up a couple of pair, have really neat atached bindings, work fantastic in the bush in deep snow.

I learned how to make a easy to use binding. It came from a person that worked in the BWCA. It uses a toe cap like a regular leather binding. But instead of a leather strap with a buckle it uses 1/4" rope. You just adjust where the knot is for different boots.
I have had excellent results with these. They are inexpensive and can be field repaired if you do have problems.
DSCN1165.jpg

KC

Dooley,
I've seen those type of snowshoes here in Alaska and people have said good things about them. They are shorter than the typical design, but wider, which many people have an easier time manuevering in. I would imagine in thick brush, those would be the ticket. The long Tubbs model that I use have a bad tendency to catch on things if I don't raise my legs really high in brushy areas with deep snow.

Kaycee,
That's a pretty simple and clean binding setup, thanks for sharing that one.

Anybody here ever try Yowies? I have a pair that I tromp around in up in NE Wisconsin, and they're fantastic -- much easier to use than a snowshoe, and you can climb grades with them just like a hiking boot. They're very easy to use and are indestructible. I've been using mine for about two years now, and find them much easier than traditional snowshoes.

Don't know where you can get them in the US now, but I got my pair direct from the company. Their website is:

http://www.yowies.com.au/index.html

The owners are very friendly, send them an email with your questions. Hope this helps -- enjoy!

Specialized

Buy a good pair the first time and be done.

Tubbs !!!

as for snowmobile, hell this year I rode into a area, stopped on the trail, walked 50 yards and called a nice yote in. I dont think the sound is as important as you might think.

Also killed my first bob less then 400 yards from where I parked the machine !

When the snow gets deep what else do you do!

Coyote011608059-1.jpg

Coyote011608055-1.jpg

Hunting2008023-1.jpg

necessity here in the mountains of W. Maine. Over 180 inches of snow this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif I have old reliable wood and guts.....bear claws.

NewImage.jpg

Back