Remington's J-Lock?

I dont know what the problem is with the looks. I dont even notice it. I have a 700 ADL in 204 and 22-250 with it, also an 870 12 guage. I have never had a problem with it locking on its own. I know a lot of people with the 870 and have never heard of one locking on its own. I know one guy that locked it and forgot to unlock it before he left. They had to tear it apart in the field to use it. Operator error not the firearm. I would bet that 99.9% of the people dont even notice the j-lock when they see someone shooting one. It is nothing more than a preference. Someone started complaining and others decided to follow.

Here's the J-Lock next to the Callahan replacement.

JLock.jpg

000_0098.jpg

100_1115-1.jpg

000_0099.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures above are exactly what I was trying to say about the spring being kinked up and it has to rub inside the bolt, causing friction which has to cause reduced lock time, which WILL makes your groups larger. Of course, some guys are only concerned about hitting a coyote and not shooting the smallest possible group - so they should leave the J lock setup on their guns and save their money.

Quote:

JLock.jpg

000_0098.jpg

100_1115-1.jpg

000_0099.jpg

Remington was using the funky firing pin spring well before the J-Lock came about. They are not synonymous with each other as is often portrayed......

-BCB

Also, some of the newer rifles after they discontinued the jlock continued to use that firing pin set up and they just threw a longer bolt shroud to cover them up.

you dont need a tool to take the shroud off and replace it. If you have trouble getting it PM me and I will help you get it. I have replaced every remington J lock that has ever come into my posession dont know if it helped but it made me feel better.

....Quick and dirty firing pin assembly removal....

This is what you have when you remove the bolt from the rifle

000_0106.jpg

Here is a dime inserted in the slot. I don't have one the tools and just push down on the bolt with the lugs on the side of my workbench and then insert a dime

000_0103.jpg

THen just unscrew the whole FP assembly

000_0102.jpg

The new one will look like this when you get it.

000_0100.jpg

Just screw it in partway and then insert the dime again.

000_0101.jpg

000_0102.jpg

Run it all the way in and pull out the dime.

000_0103.jpg

000_0106.jpg

Quote:

JLock.jpg

000_0098.jpg

It is often said that the "kinked" spring slows lock time because of "friction" against the bolt body.

This is not true (that's about as polite as I can get about it).

Just because one of the springs "looks straight", it does NOT mean that it is friction free.

Remember that a long thin spring under compression MUST bend (kink) because it cannot support itself.

So the straight looking spring is rubbing against the firing pin itself, and the other is rubbing against the bolt body - Big Deal!!

ALL firing pin springs rub against something, because they cannot support themselves!

The amount is resistance is maybe an ounce, and the spring is between 24 to 30 pounds - so there is no significant resistance.

But the other side of the coin is that (as you can see) the firing pin o the J-Lock unit is much thinner, and the stop ring on the pin (the ring that is in the front of the spring) is also thinner.

The actual reality is that the firing pin on the J-Lock weighs about 450 grains, and the "standard" pin weighs about 750 grains (I weighed them both)... so the lock time with the pin with the kinky spring is ~1/2 the lock time of the straight spring.

It is not slower, it is EXTREMELY fast.

Unfortunately, this rumor has been so wide spread that Remington abandoned this design pin for cosmetic reasons, for a much heavier one, so the spring would "look nice" to the public.

People see something, and they "think" they know that there is a problem, and then they make up theories justify their opinion.

In this case, this rumor has hurt the shooters of Remington rifles.

I'm not claiming, nor have I claimed, anything on lock times...I just know I didn't care for what I seen when I pulled out my first jlock to clean it. I am more happy with the replacements I have than I was before, so that is reason enough in and of itself for me to swap them out.

I do not care for the j-lock, and replaced the one on my model 7. It takes seconds. The rest of my Remmy's don't have one.

I can't say as I've ever really noticed a performance difference, although I would still think a straighter spring would give more consistent lock times. Some replacement units also have lighter pins, to speed up lock times.

My main problem with j-lock is their potential for inadvertent locking while in the field......

Quote:
I'm not claiming, nor have I claimed, anything on lock times...I just know I didn't care for what I seen when I pulled out my first jlock to clean it. I am more happy with the replacements I have than I was before, so that is reason enough in and of itself for me to swap them out.

I didn't mean to imply that... your post just had the coolest pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't like them either, and have gotten rid of them on my rifles, and the rifles of others.

2muchgun,,,,,,,,I agree that just the possibility of the J-Loc failing is reason enough to get rid of it. One less thing to go wrong just seems like common sence to me.

CatShooter,,,,,,,,With all respect....Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles), who is a pretty well respected authority on Remington 700's actually manufactures a replacement firing-pin assembly similar to the one Brad posted.
Not looking for a fight, but there must be some benefit to upgrading the assembly. Maybe a better spring? Lighter/better material firing-pin? Whatever???
Or do you think it's just marketing and hype??
I'm no expert, and you deffinatly put forth some actual specks to back up your opinion, but so does Greg on his web-site.
Just curious.
Thanks

looks like a stronger spring on the jlock set up,the other one has less coils=less spring strenth.I have yet to hear anyone that had one fail on them,if you want to replace it in order to get rid of the little J shaped shroud go for it,thats all you are changing.I cant imagine why the guy selling the replacement would have a speil about how horrible the jlocks are,why would anyone do that?ROFL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
CatShooter... With all respect....Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles), who is a pretty well respected authority on Remington 700's actually manufactures a replacement firing-pin assembly similar to the one Brad posted.

There are several people that make replacement firing pins - and Wolff makes great replacement springs.

Quote:
Not looking for a fight, but there must be some benefit to upgrading the assembly. Maybe a better spring? Lighter/better material firing-pin? Whatever???

Not looking for a fight either.

I know Greg (not as a beer drinking friend, but we have spoken on the phone at length about this issue)...

There are several advantages to upgrading the pin - many (but not all) of the Remington bolts have oversized firing pin holes, and it is a problem. Enough of a problem that a whole cottage industry has evolved to "drill & bush" the Remington bolt.

Quote:
Or do you think it's just marketing and hype??

I think some of it (the oversized pin holes) is important, but like a lot of other "accuracy improvements", the main improvement is to the makers bank account.

Darrel Holland has an oversized firing pin, that you polish down til it's a 0.002 clearance - and that is a terrific product, with a real need.

But much of this stuff is hype. The accuracy crowd is a ripe target to market "goodies" to. They have almost unlimited financial resources (even if it comes from the rent and food budgets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Do a Google search on wind flags bench rest... and the millions of different flags, butterflies, colored arrows, etc would fill a dump truck - and all of these guys are selling to the same small group, and each shooter has 12 different flag, looking for "Mister Good Flag" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif... the magic solution.

It ain't there.

Lookie... when you are shooting benchrest, the gun is held rock solid in heavy bags... it's NOT moving anywhere.
So what difference does it make if the lock time is 0.0035 seconds on one shot, and 0.0039 seconds on the next... the gun ISN'T MOVING!! The lock time could be a 1/20th of a second and it wouldn't make any difference.

Quote:
I'm no expert, and you deffinatly put forth some actual specks to back up your opinion, but so does Greg on his web-site.

I have no problem with Greg's firing pin - it is good... but is it needed?

Some shooter's pass time is adding "stuff" to their rifle, like high school kids do with their cars... they need to have the latest things... same with golfers, skiers, etc.

Whether it is worth it is for the individual to decide.

Quote:
Just curious.
Thanks

Your welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CatShooter..........Thanks. I am aware of how important the oversized pin hole and having it bushed is, and guess I buy into some of the hype at times too.
Most of us are just trying to get all we can out of our prized firearms and try and invest in the best parts for them. Sorta the same reason I buy expencive Synthetic oil for my truck when the generec stuff will get ya down the road the same. Sometimes the benefit, wheather real or precieved isn't blatantly recognizable but we do it anyway.
I still think the J-Loc is an extra moving part that can fail just like any other mechanical device, and I'm glad I replaced mine.
Also you DO have to agree with my original post that it "Looks Awfully Liberal"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for being Civil!!
Later

The replacement I bought was indeed a Gre-Tan unit FWIW.

The fact that the j-lock can be accidentally engaged is/was enough reason alone for me to get rid of it.........

Quote:
I have a model 7 with the j-lock..I would like to replace it do they make replacements for those as well and does anyone have a link?

Gre-Tan makes one.......

Quote:
CatShooter...

Also you DO have to agree with my original post that it "Looks Awfully Liberal"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later

Oooh... I DO agree.

And for me - that's half of the resentment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back