Coyote vs 22 Magnum .... Pics

BigMo

I made it out this morning to do a little calling. I was thinking about Bobcats and wanted to try a cedar row running next to an old duck slough. Its mostly dried up now and no one has hunted the area in quite some time. It was 18 degrees when I left the house at 6:20 and by 6:45 I was loading the rifle headed to my stand.
547812_149_full.jpg

I found a nice thick cedar to get close too and placed my "Texas Twister" decoy just across and down the lane slightly.
The wind was staight out of the east and the sunwould be bad in this location but I hoped to be long gone before it got fully light.
547812_150_full.jpg

Because I was thinking about the posability of a nice fat Bobcat here I was carring my 22 Magnum loaded with CCI 30gr V-max's. This is the first stand with this ammo and I was looking forward to testing its performance on predators UNDER 75 yards. Most of my cats have been shot at fairly close range ....under 50 yards.
I started out with a few soft but pitiful squeals from my old Weems Wild Call. I only waited a minute or so before repeating the plea's of a distressed rabbit. Two maybe 3 minutes later I began screaming bloody murder on my "Raspy Reaper" from Stone Coyote calls. Immediatly I see ole wiley pop out in the lane and start trotting straight at me. "This aint right.....I expected a Bobcat." Oh well here he comes none the wiser. About 40 yards up the lane he sees something he does not like and bounces side ways to a halt. Glint or just me I dont know but he saw something. He's looking back and forth at me and then the twister.
He seems plenty close enough at about 65 yards so I squeezed the trigger and BANG down he went. I had lined it up just behind the shoulder and the 22 Mag had done the job.
547812_148_full.jpg

No exit and no fur damage and the best part no tracking. Keep the range short and focus on shot placement and even a marginal weapon can be productive.
Here is the three items that put this big old male in the freezer.
547812_146_full.jpg

CCI 22mag 30gr V-Max, 30 year old Weems Wild Call, and a brand new Stone Coyote "Raspy Reeper"
Thanks Rudy for the fur /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I made 5 stands today and saw 3 coyotes but this is the only one that would load up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
547812_147_full.jpg

Mo!

Nice job buddy. I remember that call. Jack reed, bladed just a touch. You made it work, so you get all the credit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nice goin'.

Rudy

Way to go on the Coyote ! Great recap, verynice looking rifle too,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Does your feather decoy really seem to help while Calling ? Thanks for sharing the story.

It wont make them come but it sure gives them something else to look at as they are considering the situation.
I seldom mouth call without some sort of decoy.
So yes it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Congrats Mo, nice color to that coyote. Like that decoy too!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Is that a 10-22MAG? I alway wanted one and then they quit making them when I went to buy one. (To many problems) Have you had any issue with it? I alway believed they would be a great rifle. My first gun was a 22Mag. It was a Marlin 783, but I always wanted a 10-22Mag.

The rifle is a Volquartsen Deluxe. I also wanted a Ruger
10-22 Magnum but all the bad stories of problems made me waite
till I could get a a more reliable gun. Nothing seems more
worthless than a rifle you have no confidence in.
I have fired over 750 shells through this one and
never had a fail to fire or a fail to eject at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
The 22 magnum is fun but as a predator rifle you MUST
do your part and place the shots pefectly and keep the
range short. UNDER 75 yards for reliable quick kills.

Nice rifle, BigMo. I have a Marlin 922M 22 mag that is a real shooter. I wanted a ruger but could never locate one. It just has to be "cleaned" after every use, otherwise it jams some.
Has anyone tried the new hornady ammo with the soft tip ammo yet?

Back