This Happened To Me!

VCinRI

I don't think any of my stories will impress you Western guy's, But,

Let's hear about some of your most hair raising calling experiences.
eek.gif

Vinny,

the most hair raising experience i have had to date would have to be an encounter with a great horned owl at night.it was about 11:00 pm and i was sitting inside a hedge row about 100 yards out from a swamp on my right and a hard wood stand up on a hill to my left.i had just finished a series of calls with my quakerboy squawler and scanned my light along the swamp edge to see a pair of eyes working my way.i figured it was a gray fox looking for a easy meal.i got ready for the moment of truth when all of a sudden,WHAM!!!!i heard the branches breaking next to me and spun around to my left and got knocked to the ground.my shotgun went one way and my hat and light(light head is mounted on my hat)went the other way.at this time i was horrified becouse i had no idea what was cousing this to happen.i scammbled to get my light and gun and when i shinned the light out in the field i saw a very large owl flying away.at this time i relized just how lucky i was to still have a face left.this owl came in and tryed to grab my head.if he was 3 inches lower it would have been a very bad situation for me.all i can figure is this owl saw my head moving around shinning the light and with the rabbit distress calls and thought i was dinner.needless to say i had to go home and change my shorts.i now always shine my light into the tree tops once and awhile to see if there is any winged predators around.i discovered the 2 out of 4 times calling at night there will be an owl watching the activity,and i of caurse will be watching him.

[This message has been edited by coyoteseeker (edited 03-04-2001).]

Careful buddy!

there are stories I have heard about people getting killed by owls while using a rabbit distress call.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Funny you should say that ryank, my friend Jon has a story to go a long with rabbit call in the back of an open Jeep. I hope he reads this so he can tell everybody what happened that dark night.

------------------
Jason's Gun Room

While calling for coyote in wyoming a few years ago, I was attacked by a doe antelope. It was during the month of june and I was blowing fawn distress bawls on one of my home made calls when I heard movement behind me. I turned my head just in time to see the antelope on her hind legs, and those dang front hooves were on their way toward my head. Being in the sitting position at the time, I leaned to my left and was able to slap the antelope on right side of her neck with my rifle barrel. Raised my blood pressure a bit.

I also had a small owl fly into the pine i was sitting against, while i was calling in Nevada a couple of years back. It flew into my face and the scared the #&*% out of me.

The funny thing was the little sucker flew around for ten minutes after that still looking for that dying rabbit, even with me trying to shoo it away.

I was bow hunting for elk and deer, on the edge of the Wilderness area in Central Idaho about 10 years ago. I had not had much luck with elk, jumped them but no takers. Then I called in a mountain lion I had seen. It was real spooky. I decided to slowly back out, and coming around a small group of trees found myself face to face with the cat, who was very intent on me for dinner. As it leaped, I shot it in the throat, from about 15 yards. The shot spun it around in mid air, and it went about 100 yards into the trees, before expiring. I imagine it made the 100 yards in about 3-5 seconds, as fast as it was going. It was hair raising, to say the least. Nice tasting cat, that one. True story.

RE

Red Elk , I had a story about being run over by Javelinas all ready to go until I READ YOURS! I don't think I will bore anyone with that episode now.

Well,here goes. About 10 years ago I was taking a new friend and his neighbor out for an evening of jack rabbit shooting.We were about 3 miles east of El Paso in the desert. We stopped for a Pee break and enjoying the beautiful night. I think it was june. anyway I put a rabbit in distress tape in the caller and let it play.I was standing on the ground and my friend was standing in the jeep with the Q-beam . As I'm looking toward the city I see an owl flying towards us . It was backlit by the sports arena lights. At first I thought it was a burrowing owl(we have tons of them). A it got closer it kept getting bigger. and bigger.I finally realized it was on abeeline for my friends head!Nice short brown hair just like a rabbit. I reached into the jeep and jerked on his pant leg and said "Owl" and pointed ar it. By now it was about 20 ft away! He shined the light right at it and it flared off.at 10-15 ft. My frien was so shaken he wouldn't stand up in the jeep the rest of the night. we still laugh at it and I change his cb handle to owl bait. He is now a U.S. marshal. Jon

Back