Four (4) AZ Coyotes Down

azcoyotehunter

Got off work around 1pm today, headed out to my favorite hunting spot up the road.

1st stand: Nothing

2nd Stand: Had a coyote come in at the 6min mark, walked around my call, shot him at 80yrds. He ran another 50yrds before dropping

3rd stand: Spotted a dog coming in and he stopped at 100yrds+, I zoomed up my scope and turned down the call. He looked around, then started walking away, so I dropped him

4th & 5th stands: Nothing

6th stand: I was switching to distressed woodpecker (mistake!). I see at 80 yrds two dogs that had been sneaking awawy taking off. I switch back to female howler and not only do they come back, but two more. All 4 are 80+yrds and in front of me. I drop one, throw a shot at another one slowly walking off and hold the stand another 10min, nothing returned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7th stand: I call in a coyote, cool thing was he came trotting across the mud flats so I had a scope on him for 2min straight, he started to circle to my downwind, so I drilled him.

At this point I had been hunting for 1.5hrs and gotten 4 coyotes. So do I keep dropping them and potentially kill a hot spot or call it a day, go home, drink beer and play video games...... I decided to call it a day. This spot I take all the first time predator hunters and out of town guests to. I have always gotten dogs out there, so I need to keep the area hot.

All shots were >80yrs, I learned that when using a howler, and not a distress call the coyotes will hold back. I *think* they are looking for the other coyote.

All coyotes taken were male, and I was using the female howl and barks on my Foxpro Scorpion. The .243 was the weapon of the day (good thing too, some really poor shot placements today).

Tomorrow moring I'll lay off the dogs for a while and go looking for that lion!!

P.S. The area I hunt is a LOT more open than in the picture, I took the pic with that back drop to prevent lurkers (people that watch posts for locations to hunt, but don't contribute anyting... my big pet peeve) from hitting my hot spot

101_0878.jpg

Nothing like getting out of work early and putting the smack down on some coyotes. Good job on the hunting and protecting that spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tony

Myself and a friend hunted today down the I-10 Casa Grande area using a Flambeau "Lone Howler" Coyote decoy and went the first 4 stands dry and that prompted me to put it away for the day. I expected better with horny male year old coyotes roaming the area. The decoy is bulky but adds an interesting detail to stands this time of year. I posed the decoy as submissive as I could get, tail curled under the back legs and ears open. No takers. I switched gears and did some Foxpro woodpecker distress with a Outfoxed woodpecker decoy and had 1 bobcat sitting within a few feet of the whirling decoy. Something startled him and he took off toward my friends side. Friend missed at about 200 yards. He got a shot at a 2nd coyote at about 80 yards and missed also. I had nothing come to my side all day. Downright depressing.

Hey, I realized I just hijacked your thread- sorry. Had to vent at irritating day of hunting.

Quote:
Hey, I realized I just hijacked your thread- sorry. Had to vent at irritating day of hunting.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Howling, all male coyotes, that should tell us something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good job all around....You needed a second gunner on that one stand..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congrats the dogs look good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Wow, great job! It's nice to read about the whole hunt, and get all of the details. Thanks for sharing and congrats again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Howling, all male coyotes, that should tell us something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good job all around....You needed a second gunner on that one stand..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congrats the dogs look good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I need a second gunner on EVERY stand, from my experience it's nto that I didn't call in something, it's just that I didn't see anything.

Quote:
azcoyotehunter: You take these from a ladder?

2 from a ladder, 2 from the ground. Since my last wipeout, I'm using a ladder only where necessary. If there is a hill I sit on it!!

Quote:
Quote:

I need a second gunner on EVERY stand, from my experience it's nto that I didn't call in something, it's just that I didn't see anything.

Amen to that.......Well I should say that carrying a shotgun on most of my stands cost me some coyotes too this year... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

AZcoyotehunter.... nice job bro... if you or any other AZ guy w/in the Florece area ever know in advance when your headed out I'll meet you somewhere. I have been leaving work early on Wed/Thurs in Florence to get a few stands in. Its tough by myself and sucks cause I have no one to hi-5 or watch my back! anyways just a shout out... and again nice job AZCH

Quote:
AZcoyotehunter.... nice job bro... if you or any other AZ guy w/in the Florece area ever know in advance when your headed out I'll meet you somewhere. I have been leaving work early on Wed/Thurs in Florence to get a few stands in. Its tough by myself and sucks cause I have no one to hi-5 or watch my back! anyways just a shout out... and again nice job AZCH

I hunt out in Florence on a regular basis, 3 weeks from today I'll be back out there, I'll PM you to see if you are interested.

Back