Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#866607 - 01/17/08 03:45 PM Mange Questions
AZ_Mike Offline

Loc: Arizona
My understanding is that mange is very contagious. So I have a couple of questions about it and dogs.

You guys that have dogs that chase down coyotes, how do you prevent(if possible) or treat your dogs after they mess with a coyote that has or might have it?

If you are out hunting coyotes and you kill one with mange will just handling the carcass pass it onto you and then maybe onto your animals at home?

Can you cure the stuff, if so what are the chances depending on how far it is along?

Thanks,

Mike

#866608 - 01/17/08 03:58 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: AZ_Mike]
birdshot Offline

Loc: nebraska
there are two kinds of mange, one is contagious and other is only contagious if the dog exposed is genetically unprotected. as a bird dog guy mange scares the h'll out of me. if i believe my dogs have been exposed to mange, any kind, i treat them with a big dose of ivomec cattle wormer. we used to douse them in crank case oil, but the price of oil has gotten to high to use it in the manner now.

#866609 - 01/17/08 04:24 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: birdshot]
upsetterxx Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Pahrump, Nevada. USA
we used to douse them in crank case oil, but the price of oil has gotten to high to use it in the manner now.

Sarcoptic and Demodectic Mange are the two types, there are many Dips and soaps that get rid of the Sarcoptic (scabies) mites just like on some people... Demodectic mange is more serious and can be treated w/ certain High potency dips (careful) and yes Ivermectin cattle or sheep wormer... The old used motor oil trick is an old time myth/method that believe it or not was actually used by some...., but I believe skin absorbs motor oil the same as any other oil or lotion etc... and that would certainly be extremely toxic to any dog and an extremely Stupid thing to do. JMO !!

#866610 - 01/17/08 04:36 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: birdshot]
Hidalgo Offline
PM senior

Loc: TN
DELETED

#866611 - 01/17/08 08:42 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: Hidalgo]
vargy49 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: iowa city iowa
mike as you know i run coyoytes all the time!! I have had a few very bad yotes!!
A couple years ago my hounds caught one that had very little hair on it!! The same day they caught another one that was omost as bad!! Both yotes were in ILL.
If my hounds catch a bad yote i will treat them with 1 cc of ivermic. You can either put in thier mouth or inject it under the skin!!
The hounds hate the taste of it and after you do it the first time the hound dont forget!!
I usally inject it!!
It always burns when you inject it but i think its easyer!!
I will give a hound 1 cc every 2 weeks for 2 weeks if needed but thats it!!
I do know some guys that give thier hounds 1 cc every month for heart warm pervention!!
I have had one hound come down with the mange and the ivermic cleared it right up!!

Vargy

#866612 - 01/17/08 09:43 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: vargy49]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
I learned alot about this when I was in MN running hounds and decoy dogs.The dog vet there recommended just as Vargy stated.The dose of Iveremec for dogs is 1cc per 100wgt of dog,but this is not exact.I give all my dogs 1cc when worming them.My smallest dog,is 60lbs, and he has had 1cc of Ivermec once a month for 8yrs.Do not give Ivermec to any BORDER COLLIE OR PART BORDER COLLIE,as there is a one in ten chance it will kill them due to a gene they carry.Also be aware that after 21 days Ivermec will start to lessen in effectiveness in dogs.I am not a vet, consult a DVM FOR ALL THINGS PERTAINING TO YOUR DOGS HEATH. Duane

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#866613 - 01/17/08 09:54 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: Duane@ssu]
vargy49 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Duane I didnt know that about BORDER COLLIES

thats good to know!! thanks Vargy

#866614 - 01/17/08 10:59 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: vargy49]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
At one time I had a REAL GOOD dog vet.He was the one that turned me on to Ivermec for dogs,but was very adament about not using on The "black and whites".
Just a side note,My Macnab border collie cross,Jack [beeep],has been working cows for the last three days,all day.He has the most natural ability I've ever seen in a cow dog.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#866615 - 01/19/08 09:30 AM Re: Mange Questions [Re: Duane@ssu]
varmithntr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Minnesota USA
I believe there was a good article in Predator Hunter last issue about mange also.
MN Advanced Hunter Education Bow Instructor

#866616 - 01/19/08 10:12 AM Re: Mange Questions [Re: varmithntr]
mikegranger Offline
Retired Admin/moderator

Loc: Lewistown, Mt USA
Good discussion guys. We beat this subject to death in the Predator Biology forum as well. Do a search and you'll find volumes on the subject.

Mike

#866617 - 01/19/08 10:25 AM Re: Mange Questions [Re: mikegranger]
vargy49 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Mike i know ivermic has to be used in the right dosage for hounds!!
I have used it many years and have never had a problem with it or mange and running yotes my hounds do come on contack with it!!!

Vargy

#866618 - 01/19/08 04:19 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: vargy49]
mikegranger Offline
Retired Admin/moderator

Loc: Lewistown, Mt USA
Vargy,

Bubba has come in contact with it but yet to get mange. I watch closely for any sign of infection and will treat him with Ivomec as well. It's pretty much the standard treatment around here.

Mike

#866619 - 01/25/08 12:00 PM Re: Mange Questions [Re: mikegranger]
RunningC Offline

Loc: Nevada
In the Early 90's I bought a Coon Hound pup that was perfectly healthy until he was about 11 mos. old
I took him to UGA and Auburn Vet schools trying to get it cured and the way it was explaned to me was that Demodectic Mange (at that time commonly refered to as Red Mange) is something they are born with comes from the dam they are out of, and not curable. Most of the time if the dam is a carrier some pups will never shown signs of it,and some will. What I experienced was he started to develop blisters and red puss spots between his toes and I guess you would call it his arm pits, and on the inside of his hips. I spent a tremendous amount of money trying keep it under control to no avail. I finally had to put him down, we thought we had a handle on it. We made the final four of the PKC world hunt and I put him down 2 weeks later. He was 21 mos old when I put him down and on the road to being a outstanding coonhound.

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.