Mojo Critter

For the $, I think it's pretty slick. Mine's been eating batteries lately, but I've been running it @ -10 to 15 degree conditions. Warmer climates I'd think you could get 2 solid days of calling out of 4 AA's. Packs good.

I've used one with a friend, the only coyote that came in looked at it, and started walking away.

I've had some success with the whirling woodpecker.

I bought one and really liked it the first time out. Next time out with it, actually the next day, it wouldn't turn on. Thought it was the battery so I changed out the pack with four new ones and it still didn't work. Ended up being the connections inside the plastic housing, which looks like a cheap flashlight housing, came apart. Sent it back and two weeks received a new one. This new one never worked right out of the package. I didn't bother sending it back, just using the whirling woodpecker now. When I finally had some time I looked at the new a little more and it had hot glue over the terminals on the inside and the battery pack that holds the 4 AA batteries was out-of-whack so one of the batteries wouldn't/couldn't touch the terminals due to excessive amounts of hot glue used in construction.

That being said I really liked the motion of this decoy and actually called in two yotes the first day I used it. I wish they were built with a sturdier housing.

Quote:
I bought one and really liked it the first time out. Next time out with it, actually the next day, it wouldn't turn on. Thought it was the battery so I changed out the pack with four new ones and it still didn't work. Ended up being the connections inside the plastic housing, which looks like a cheap flashlight housing, came apart. Sent it back and two weeks received a new one. This new one never worked right out of the package. I didn't bother sending it back, just using the whirling woodpecker now. When I finally had some time I looked at the new a little more and it had hot glue over the terminals on the inside and the battery pack that holds the 4 AA batteries was out-of-whack so one of the batteries wouldn't/couldn't touch the terminals due to excessive amounts of hot glue used in construction.

That being said I really liked the motion of this decoy and actually called in two yotes the first day I used it. I wish they were built with a sturdier housing.

Exactly what I experienced, I just got mine in the mail and it fails to turn on. The connections are loose on the power button inside the housing. I am returning it to Cabelas tomorrow and might consider a woodpecker.

guys, I wanted to mention a fact that is not very well known, a 6V lantern battery has 32 AA's in it. Cut the top off and you get a real deal on batteries.

I get the best 6V lantern battery that I can find when I need to stock up....saves a few bucks.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I just bought one and couldn't get it to turn on. I tried everything and finally took the AA battery pack off. It had a 9V battery terminal so I put a 9V in it and it works. I don't know if they made different motors or what but 4 AA's at 1.5V each in sequence equals 6V. My motor is running on 9V. I also painted the top thumbscrew flat green so it wouldn't flash and made some extra stakes. The provided stake is 5" tall which is fine for little or no grass but if you have taller grass, you need a taller stake for it to be seen. I just got some 1/4-20 all-thread and painted it flat olive green and now I can adjust as needed. I haven't used it enough to know if it works as advertised but I do think they should have put more thought into it. Hope this helps.

I am not sure about the mojo. I just ordered one last night. I can't wait to see how it works out for me. HOWEVER, DON'T BUY THE STUPID WHIRLIING WOODPECKER!!
I have literally scared off more coyotes than I can remember. I'll call coyotes in and then the things see this woodpecker and run like the dickens away from it.

I have had the MOJO for a month or so now and had zero mechanical problems. I am quite happy with it. The only problem I have is that when they come in, I just HAVE to see how close they will get to and and what happens. Usually they will stop 18" from it and stick out thier nose for a whiff......that sends them on a hard run back the way they came.....usually for about 75 yards when they get whacked. I love mine. It allows me to set up the Foxpro in open ground and give them something to look at. 70 yards or so in an open field gives me lots of visiblity.

DD

Quote:
I am not sure about the mojo. I just ordered one last night. I can't wait to see how it works out for me. HOWEVER, DON'T BUY THE STUPID WHIRLIING WOODPECKER!!
I have literally scared off more coyotes than I can remember. I'll call coyotes in and then the things see this woodpecker and run like the dickens away from it.

That's the first time I've ever heard that!

I've heard lots of stories from people saying they had bobcats spot it and start a stalk on it, coyotes sit and stare at it. I had a fox run in and stare at it, but never anybody say it scared off more coyotes than they can remember.

Quote:

I have had coyotes try to jump up and try to grab it out of the tree, several gray fox attempt to climb the tree it is in to get to it, and bobcats appear from nowhere jumping up trying to grab my WHIRLING WOODPECKER. IT IS NOW MY GO TO DECOY.

Good luck doghelmet with you mojo, hope it works for you. Maybe we can make a trade? I'll send you my mojo critter that didn't work after sending the first one back for your whirling woodpecker.

Ive used the Mojo Critter and never had a problem with it. In fact Ive seen it run for over two days without ever being turned off. Try that with a Whirling Woodpecker! It really helps in drawing those animals out into the open and it will keep them from looking at you. The only bad thing Ive seen is that the coyotes reacted very fast and came running in hard. I dont consider that a bad thing though!

M44

I will add, I've shot 3 coyotes over mine. None of them came charging into the decoy, but 2 of the 3 coyotes were just STUPID mesmerized by the decoy and stood at 100yds for several minutes allowing good broadside shots. The other dog was real cautious, very tuned into the decoy, but would not come any closer than 200yds. I whacked her (young female). I think she may have been cautious due the howls I mixed with the distress???

Back