Best Time To Call Red Fox

new foxer

I have only been calling fox for about a year now. I hunt in northwestern Pa.,around Meadville and Conneaut Lake area. I was hoping someone could give me some tips. Like when is the best time to call ,what is the best sound to use and best stand location. Thanks for all your help.

I have only called in a few reds, but they seem to be a whole lot smarter than grey foxes are. I think they like more open areas than greys do,(especially small farms with ducks and chickens) and they pay attention more to the wind also. Talk to local farmers and see if they are missing any chickens, if so, they will probably be happy for you to take care of his problem.watch for them to circle especially if they can get downwind. They seem to really like the sound of distressed chickens, but most anything will probably work. I'm no expert, but this I have learned from past experiences. Red foxes are few and far between here( South Boston VA),and all anybody really sees are greys. good luck. hope this helps.

P.S. as for the best time to call I really don't know. Personally I like the early morning, but you may experience someting different. These guys on here know alot more than I do, so mabye than can help you more

First hour and last hour of the day are good, but I like to call them after dark. All night is good,especially early in the morn. I think the foxes that haven't had a good night of hunting are more succeptable to the call at that time. I use mostly cottontail distress. When they don't respond to that I have good luck with red fox disress. This seems to be a good call in hunted areas and as the season wears on, after they have heard all the rabbits they can stand.
good luck

I use the yellowhammer woodpecker alot and the gobbler in destress some to. I have used the red fox in destress some and it works well also. I also do better at night here in Ohio. We call early in the morning and late in the eve and do well in Ky, But we have also called them in in the middle of the day. So you never know!

Howdy, you'll do best calling reds at night. Here in S.E. PA I've had best success after 10:00 P.M., winds 5-10 mph, mild temps 35-45 degrees. We've found that when it gets bitter cold, below 15, that the action really slows. The only time that you might as well stay home is when winds are over 30 mph. Make sure that you buy a mouse squeaker. Start off your calling with it and also tape it to your gun so when the fox starts to hang up at 70 yards you can use it to coax him in close without a lot of movement. Also, pattern you shotgun using Remington Hevi Shot #4. The load is awesome and a fox killer out to at least 50 yards. Good luck!

ravhunter,
What kind of range and pelt damage do you get with Remington Heavy Shot #4. Is this anything like #4 buckshot? I know you can't use buckshot in PA.
Thanks.

Back